Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: merleo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 1996

October 08, 2013

I leave for Crossroads of Turkey in less than 3 weeks; just received my final docs booklet and was wondering if GCT assigns more than one TL to a group of 30+.  Can anyone who has been on this trip enlighten me?  I've re-read the reviews but none mention the size of the group. Also, found only 1 TL with a 'disappointed' rating but 5 other TLs with excellent ratings.  Hopefully 'disappointed TL' will not be the guide for my group.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

October 08, 2013

You are in a group of 30? That sounds great, we had 40 or 42 on my trip but it was fine. GC groups have one TL.

Don't worry about the size of the group, it's a wonderful trip, just go and enjoy.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

October 08, 2013

Hello Merleo -

Our Grand Circle Travel Land Tours have the services of 1 Program Director on each departure.

If you have additional questions about your upcoming vacation, please contact us at 1-800-321-2835.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

October 08, 2013

Thanks Luisa and Michelle - looking forward to an enjoyable trip.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 08, 2013

In many cases, depending on country or city rules, or for specialized knowledge, there will also be local guides, who generally work with the  The Program Director (PD), GCTs equivalent of OAT's TLs. In China and in Russia, for example, we had a local guide for each city who worked with the PD, who was quite familiar with the cities as well. In effect, we had the services of 2 PDs for the group. They generally divide the duties, with the local guide leading the group and doing most of the talking and the PD bringing up the rear to keep people from getting separated from the group and answering specific questions as needed.

Author: tickledpink

Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Rhine & Danube Christmas markets cruises, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, UK, Ireland, most of Western Europe, Scandinavia, Leningrad no-visa cruise from Helsinki in '78, Hawaii, Alaska, NYC, Florida, Arizona & Utah national parks, Sedona and North Dakota.

Traveler Since: 1995

October 08, 2013

If you have Rana Erol as your Program Director, you will have an excellent guide! I did this trip in May 2011.

Jane

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

October 09, 2013

Attilla T. was the PD on our trip and he was wonderful, tied with Nick T. for top PD of eight trips. I have a friend who had Rana on the OAT gulet trip and was very happy with her.

We had local guides in Chile and Argentina and in Spain, but I don't recall any local guides on the Turkey trip. Attilla was with us throughout, including the optionals.

You'll have a wonderful time in Turkey.

October 09, 2013

I jotted down the names of the PDs mentioned in the reviews as being outstanding.  I'm wondering if I'll be getting a pre-trip email introduction from one of them or any other PD like how OAT TLs contact each traveler. Just counting the days until I leave.   

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

October 09, 2013

I am almost certain you will, merleo. I have received emails a couple of weeks before each of the past five (maybe more) GCT tours I have taken. All were welcome introductions to the PD and a couple had some really good information that was not contained in any other documentation.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.