Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: noseycat

Traveler Since: 2007

October 01, 2013

Are there plans in place to deal with any GCT/OAT trips that might be affected by the shutdown?

Author: garyrr

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

October 01, 2013

In what way do you expect the gov't shutdown to effect trips by OAT/GCT?   TSA is not being put on furlough, CBT (passport control) is working as normal.   Even the issuing of new passports is operating at normal levels (just looked at their website).  The only trips that should be effected would be trips to US National Parks (I believe GCT has one of those).

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 01, 2013

And the air traffic controllers will continue to work, they are saying.  So flights will come and go.

There is more than one GCT National Parks tour, and National Parks and the Smithsonian Institution Museums have all closed. 

Author: patmckinney

Countries Visited:

29 countries

Traveler Since: 2009

October 03, 2013

I just read that Omaha Beach are closed.   I hope GCT still takes travelers there.  

Ok I got this back to PC.    but you are correct...keep things in terms of vacations.  Oops on my part.

Author: oldbog

October 04, 2013

Could we keep political views out of the Travel Forum please?

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

October 04, 2013

Agree with luisa, but with oldbog too....just because I can imagine that a political discussion can get heated and nasty sometimes, like it does on Facebook............

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

October 04, 2013

You're right. I deleted my post.

Author: gobuckeyes

Traveler Since: 2005

October 04, 2013

Needless to say, politics and religion should be left home while on vacation. In addition, these topics should be left off "non political" discussion boards too, like this one. Unless of course the owner of the board (in this case GCT/OAT) wants it to become political; and I really don't think they do.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

October 07, 2013

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments. 

To answer Noseycat's question: Yes, we have made & will continue to make alternate arrangements for any included features on our trips that are impacted by the sequester.

If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-800-321-2835.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: noseycat

October 07, 2013

Thanks, Michelle.  I assumed (correctly) that there would be some impact from the shutdown, and that you all would have made appropriate arrangements to deal with the impact.  That's a major reason that I keep traveling with you!

Author: tpreminger

October 08, 2013

Among these post is one form a traveler whose OAT/GCT visit to America's national parks was cut short after just 7 days due to the government shutdown.  It appeared two days or so ago.

The poster complimented that the TL on a job well done, despite all the inconviences and wrote that compensation from OAT/GCT is expected.

I believe the comment appears in the travel forum section of the OAT website.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

October 08, 2013

Hello Tpreminger -

The post from the traveler who had the positive experience - despite the sequester - on our America's Majestic National Parks trip is under the "North America" thread in our "Destinations" section.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: pbnj99

October 08, 2013

That would by my post..  :)  

We were extremely happy with our wonderful tour director who kept us informed at all times of what might/might not happen with a government shutdown.  We did not have the option of cancelling the trip on our own (would have had to purchase "cancel with no reason" insurance) so the trip was on!  We were able to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devils Tower and drive on to Cody and the Buffalo Bill Museum . Government shutdown occurred just as we were to head to West Yellowstone.  Instead we drove thru beautiful countryside in Wyoming, Idaho and Utah, staying at our scheduled stops of Jackson Hole and Salt Lake City..  Our guide, Tom Jensen, researched other state parks, waterfalls, and eventually even a geyser we could visit. He truly made a tremendous effort to keep a large (38) group of travelers who had been intent on seeing the National Parks into very happy travelers with his humor, flexibility and ingenuity. We did not get the trip we planned for but we did get a trip we enjoyed and hopefully with the forthcoming refund we will be able to visit the National Parks some time in the future.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 29, 2013

We were on the Paris to Normandy river cruise on the Seine.  We were told the night before that our PD's were in touch with their regional  office, who were supposed to be in touch with GCT Boston on what was happening in Washington and how that would affect this trip.    The night before, our PD said we probably would not be able to visit the cemetery at Normandy the next day because of the Government shut down, and that even the French nationals who maintain the park for the US (in addition to 6 other US personnel) also went on strike because they didn't like what the US was doing.  Anyway, since US lawmakers were stil working when we were going to bed,  we had to wait until the next day, day of touring, to hear if we could visit the cemetery.

As it goes, the shutdown took place, and after touring all the Normandy beaches we went by the cemetery, the PD proving to us it was closed, and on the gate was a sign posted that the cemetery was closed due US government shutdown.  We were 115 of us very upset as this was a highlight of the Normandy portion of this cruise.  For myself I was deeply saddened, because I wanted to visit the cemetery in support of my uncle age 90 and a friend, also age 90, who landed on Omaha beach.  They are still living, but soldiers from their units did not survive the battles that ensued and are buried there.  There was nothing GCT could do, so it wasn't their fault and none of us blamed GCT, we are world travelers and we know these things  happen.  We don't like it when they do, but....

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.