Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jolee6036

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

September 20, 2013

We thought it would be fun to 'meet' others taking this trip before we get there.  We are from NY, taking the Outback pre trip leaving Nov. 1 but we are arriving a few days before. ( I also posted this on the other forum but I think more people may look at this topic.)  We are very excited and looking forward to the trip.  Not the long flight though!!

Maybe we can all share tips or info.  This site has a lot of info on it as does Trip Advisor

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 20, 2013

You actually posted both requests on this forum.

The percentage of people who post or read on either forum is very very low.  On every trip, I've asked people if they post on the forums or read the posts.  And I usually get blank stares.  Those from people who have more than twenty trips in their pasts.  Yesterday, I met a friend of friends who, it turns out, has traveled with OAT.  She does read the posts, but she's never posted herself.  Somewhere, there's probably a statistic about the number of people who post vs the number of people who travel with the company.

Author: lyn

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2004

September 20, 2013

I agree with Pauline.  Most people do not use the GCT website and I have also received blank stares when I have asked GCT travelers if they have read or posted a review.  I really enjoy reading the reviews and the travel forum.  I have picked up lots of tips and general information.  So don't give up if you do not get lots of replies.  Enjoy your trip to Australia, it is on our Bucket List.  Happy travels...

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 21, 2013

A friend and I traveled to Australia and New Zealand independently four times and loved every bit of it.  She's gone now, and I'm too old to travel that way.  The people are very very nice and welcoming, and there's no language problem.  Well, maybe a little bit, but you get used to the slang.  Food is great, especially if you're into seafood.  If you're a meat eater, the beef and lamb are also good.  We both were wine drinkers, and the wine in both countries is excellent.  I still prefer Australian and New Zealand wines to Californian and definitely to French.

We always stayed overnight at LAX both ways, since we were starting at Logan Airport in Boston. 

The weather in November would correspond to our weather in May, depending on where you are.  I swam in Cairns in October one year.  But in Queenstown, I needed a fleece jacket with layers underneath.

I advise you to take advantage of all the optionals.  After all, when will you be there again?  Have a great trip!

Pauline

September 21, 2013

Thanks for the responses.  I am ever hopeful but if no one from our trip replies, we will meet them when we get there!

Author: mfeldbrueg

Trips Taken: 3

October 14, 2013

Jolee,

We (party of 4) are traveling to New Zealand and Australia (leaving Chicago Oct 20...a few days early to acclimate to the time change). We are staying at the Citadines on Bourke when we arrive.  I have put a request in to our tour guide, (Peter Brose) to email me some suggestions for sightseeing on our own those first few days. Look for us at the hotel and I will pass along any suggestions that I get from him. We will be taking the pre trip and the post trip.I would be interested in any suggestions that you have for interesting places to visit that aren't included on the pretrip.

Mary 

October 18, 2013

Hi Mary

we arrive Nov 1.  Our tour begins nov 3.  Our tour leader is Darrin so I guess we are in different groups.  We plan to do a day trip to the Great Ocean road on Nov 4 but otherwise nothing specific.  If you have any suggestions we would appreciate them.  What date does your tour start? Maybe we can meet at the hotel.  Have a good flight.

Joanne

Countries Visited:

October 21, 2013

Watch the news.  There are very bad forest fires in the Blue Mountains right now, and they could be threatening Sydney.  Those mountains are called blue, because of the haze that comes from the eucalyptus trees and they are highly flammable.

Countries Visited:

October 22, 2013

An update.  I e-mailed a friend in Sydney and heard back last night.  They don't feel in any danger, but they definitely can see smoke and the air is bad.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.