Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: sealionlady

Traveler Since: 2001

September 14, 2013

Today I found a fun article on the Huffington Post.  It's called "6 Travel Souvenir Collections You Need to Start" :   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/13/souvenir-collections_n_3908872.html?utm_hp_ref=travel#comments

Check it out and maybe some of the ideas will be of interest.

Author: tpreminger

Traveler Since: 1999

September 14, 2013

Thanks for posting, it's a good read.

Though I usually bring back a small painting from my travels, I also keep some of the emphemera (ticket stubs, small maps, announcements) picked up during my travels as suggested in the article.

It's amazing at how looking at a museum entrance ticket can bring back memories of the most unique and interesting artifacts.

Author: jl.anderson

Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

September 14, 2013

I bring back a CD of local music if I come across it -- it's great background when I'm going through my photos of a trip.

Author: gibbsgirl

Traveler Since: 2011

September 16, 2013

Great article in Huffington Post.  We generally have some currency (and/or coins) after a trip, and we give a couple of paper bills or coins to our grandsons, and we keep a few for ourselves.  And we have purchased Christmas ornaments on each of our trips - I love decorating the tree each year with our travel ornaments - brings back lovely memories and makes me smile.

Author: piperpat

Traveler Since: 2005

September 17, 2013

My favorite souvenir is a magnet from every country I've been to.  They're right on the front of my refrigerator and are a great daily reminder of how fortunate I've been to see so many places in the world.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 17, 2013

I have a collection of little pill boxes from almost every country I've visited.  And I have refrigerator magnets from the last three.  Before, I had the kind of refrigerators that had paneling to match the kitchen cabinets, and those wouldn't take magnets.

On my first trip abroad many many years ago, I brought back little dolls in native costumes, and my friend bought a deck of cards in each country.

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

September 17, 2013

"My favorite souvenir is a magnet from every country I've been to.  They're right on the front of my refrigerator and are a great daily reminder of how fortunate I've been to see so many places in the world."

We have a friend who has collected refrigerator magnets from all countries she has visited. She has stopped traveling so we now pick up a magnet for her when we visit a country that is not represented in her collection.

For ourselves, my First Mate has picked up a ceramic or pottery piece from each country we visit. She approaches the task rather logically by selecting items that represent the country but are also small and easily transported. The small size also makes them easier to display when we get back home.

Author: grammyflo

September 18, 2013

So amused at the magnet hobby we all seem to have but it is the easiest and fairly accurate account of all our travels.  My husband is the seeker of the magnets which adorn the complete side of our fridge and microwave.  How did we get so many??  Our Christmas tree is a 'memory' tree. I try to get an ornament that is clearly the vacation site and we have quite a tree!!  I collect ceramic plates, my most recent one is the faience plate we bought in Rouen on our Seine Normandy Paris trip this past summer.  They abound on hangars in our dining room and kitchen and I just love them. Looking forward to collecting memories from our next trip!

Keep on travelling!

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

September 18, 2013

I, too, collect magnets and Christmas ornaments from the different countries. I also collect coffee mugs, so I have those as well. I am "afraid" to drink out of them, in case I break one, but my brother built me some wonderful shelving that fits above my kitchen cabinets (almost looks built-in) that I have them on. I like to find that "one" thing that is pertinent to a particular country as well (at least in my mind!), so I have Matryoshka dolls from Russia, a small jade dragon from China, olive wood Nativity set from Israel, that sort of thing.

Author: jayge

Traveler Since: 2004

September 18, 2013

We like to collect the refrigerator magnets and select the ones which depict a scene from that particular city of village.  Ours are all the raised scenes (not the picture ones).  Everytime I open the refrigerator I enjoy seeing them. 

Another favorite is my Matruska doll group which I purchased onboard the Rossia in the gift shop.  I keep them on a bookcase shelf and as I pass by them daily, it reminds me of a great trip.

We also have some very beautiful steins from Germany to enjoy.

Isn't traveling wonderful!

Jayge

Author: jayge

Traveler Since: 2004

September 18, 2013

About souvenirs from trips, I would also like to thank Grand Circle for the lovely pins from each rivercruise we take.  They are very much appreciated.  We have ones from each of the nine rivercruises we have taken so far.

Author: pegheeter1

Traveler Since: 2001

September 18, 2013

How nice to have such a delightful light-hearted topic to discuss!

In addition to magnets - I suspect almost all of us collect these - and Christmas tree ornaments, I accidentally started what has turned out to be one of my favorite souvenir collections.  After our first trip, which was to Egypt, I ended up with an empty water bottle in my suitcase, which I kept - largely because it had some Arabic writing on it.  Usually we have a bottle with us on our return trip, which is of course empty, and we've kept them from most of our eleven trips.  It's surprising how many times friends comment on the basket full of them. 

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

September 18, 2013

I also bring back things that are specific (?) to that country.  A jade cabbage, cloisonne and china eggs all from China; lacquer boxes with fairy tale scenes from Russia, and egg from Ukraine, bits of glass, pottery and wood carvings from various places.  A menorah from Israel that I don't use where I live now, because they don't allow candles; I use an electric one with bulbs instead.  Several paintings on my walls that I bought, sometimes from the artist.

But I also wear things I purchased in places.  Tee-shirts, which seem to last forever.  Jackets and sweaters.  And every time I put one on, I remember where I was and when I purchased it and call up the scenes in my mind.

Author: tickledpink

Countries Visited:

Rhine & Danube Christmas markets cruises, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, UK, Ireland, most of Western Europe, Scandinavia, Leningrad no-visa cruise from Helsinki in '78, Hawaii, Alaska, NYC, Florida, Arizona & Utah national parks, Sedona and North Dakota.

Traveler Since: 1995

September 23, 2013

Thanks for the article link!

Wow, I do a little bit what everyone is posting! I have tablecloths from Turkey and Egypt that are used frequently, a modern carpet of tulips from Istanbul that hangs by the front door, a beautiful mosaic tiled ostrich egg from Jordan (put away because of roommate's too curious cat), the Matruska doll from a no-visa cruise to Leningrad (1978) and, of course, Christmas ornaments since my first trip to Europe in 1978. My six month trip ended November 29th that year... so lots of opportunities for last minute shopping!

I'm doing Christmas Markets on the Rhine in two months and, of course, will be looking for unique ornaments. I plan to visit Colmar and Mulhouse from Basel and hope to pick up a tablecloth in Mulhouse, where the textile business is huge. They do a special Christmas print every year. I love the memories that each item brings back.

Of course my favorite "souvenirs" are the pictures I take. My computer's desktop pictures changes every few seconds, so I get to relive some of my trips.

Author: aspengal

Countries Visited:

A partial list: Best of Kenya+Tanzania Safari(OAT), Peru(OAT), Canada(GCT), Thailand+Cambodia+Laos(OAT), Morocco(OAT), Egypt+Jordan(GCT), Australia(OAT), China(GCT), Ireland(GCT), Turkey, Tuscany+Amalfi Coast(GCT), Prague, Greece(sailing), the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Mexico (20+ visits), Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Jamaica (5 visits), Grenada + the Grenadines (w/Windjammer cruise), plus travel within the U.S.

September 24, 2013

My variation on magnets: I save a coin from the country I'm visiting; one which is in good condition and with an image truly representative of that country.  When I get home, I glue a round magnet on it; now I have a truly authentic 'souvenir' of each country I've visited.  I even take them to work to use on my metal-backed cabinets.  Friends & co-workers always enjoy guessing which country each coin is from.

Author: walshcs

Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), Guatemala, and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. Very excited that OAT has brought back the trip to Japan and I leave on that tour Nov. 4, 2013 with the pre-trip to Tokyo. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

October 14, 2013

Despite the Huffington Post dissing the "****y magnets"...I LOVE my magnet collection from my travels. I DO keep a few coins and a couple small bills from countries I visit and put in my travel/photo album. Some world currency is so colorful and unique.

What the women posting didn't mention was if they buy any jewelry to commemorate their travels. I'm not talking diamonds and pearls here but the fun, relatively inexpensive jewelry that the country is known for. Examples in my collection: Gold plated pre-Columbian frog earrings from Costa Rica, Venetian glass earrings from Milano, Italy, colored, carved wooden bead necklace from Guatemala, harp pin from Ireland, etc..

Every time I put on my earrings,necklace, bracelet or pin... I am wrapped in warm, delightful memories of that particular journey. I can also "bore" my friends and co-workers when they ask about the story behind the body ornament.

What do the guys like to collect? (Besides magnets and cap pins..)

Cate

Author: captainlarry

October 15, 2013

Cate, I collect mostly memories.

My First Mate does not collect earrings, but she does have a necklace, usually a pendant of some sort, from many of our trips. I may have mentioned before that early in our travels she started to collect a piece of pottery or ceramic that was indigenous to the area we were visiting. As I am typing this I am looking on the shelf across the room at a piece of Navajo pottery, complete with the image of Kokopelli, from Arizona. In our kitchen is a small ceramic pitcher with lemons on it. For those who have been to Sorrento, you understand.

Author: walshcs

Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), Guatemala, and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. Very excited that OAT has brought back the trip to Japan and I leave on that tour Nov. 4, 2013 with the pre-trip to Tokyo. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

October 16, 2013

Hey Capt.Larry...

Sorrento & lemon-decorated pottery...I can relate. Have a little vase on my nicknack shelf from my trip there. The memories are the very best part of travel...I agree. Some day when I'm too old (will that ever happen!!?) to venture forth...my momentos  will be a reminder that, as Auntie Mame said, I LIVED!

Its such a pleasure to chat with the regulars on this forum.

thanks, Cate

Author: pamvaughan11

Countries Visited:

China twice, Japan, SE Asia, England and Ireland multiple times, other European countries, Guatemala twice, East Africa.

Traveler Since: 2012

October 16, 2013

As the years go by, I buy fewer and fewer souvenirs. Something small, often a small piece of jewelry. However, at the beginning of each trip, I buy a ceramic mug, so I can have something to drink from in my room. I usually take tea bags with me anyway. And yes, in Sorrento, I bought a blue mug with yellow lemons on it. I often bring home small food items. 

Author: tpreminger

October 17, 2013

Years ago I decided that I'd bring food gifts home for assorted friends.  There are always interesting items in the grocery store that are not found at home.  From Greece I brought a tomato/eggplants dip.  From Croatia, fruit, nut and honey combinations.

In 1989 I brought back Nutella from England before it was available in the U.S.

A word of warning though - curiously shaped jars containg jell like or thick substances attract the attention of airport security.  Was pulled out of line to take my checked bag through a special scanning device. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.