Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ronnie501

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

September 04, 2013

Be aware that if you are collecting Delta Frequent Flyer miles by having GCT arrange your air passage as we always do, my daughter and I have discovered that you will only get 25% of the actual mileage.  Now we have a problem in that we have always had GCT arrange our air travel since help with a glitch in that would be covered under the expensive insurance policy we also get from GCT.  Am I wrong in this? 

Author: s.wismer

September 04, 2013

I am another traveler who was surprised by being shorted on frequent flyer miles on a recent trip.  Delta Airlines said to talk to GCT, that the fact that we received only 25% of the miles that we flew was due to the fact that GCT had purchased bulk tickets with the understanding that only 25% of the miles flown would be awarded to passengers.  GCT says that if we were concerned with the number of frequent flyer miles we would receive, we should have checked with Delta about what award of miles our class of ticket would receive, or we should have made our own air arrangements.  How would we know that we needed to check with the airline on our class of ticket, since GCT did not warn us about the frequent flyer mile issue?  Why would we even suspect that on this trip we would suddenly receive only a fraction of the miles flown since on every one of our many other trips with GCT we received the full mileage credit?  Our trip was wonderful, but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth to find out after-the-fact that GCT bought a discounted ticket (which it sold to us for a pretty penny, I might add!) which deprived us of the airline miles on which we were counting for future travel, and that GCT didn't even tell us they had done that.

Author: margaretco

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2012

September 04, 2013

This happened to me as well.  I was charged $1825 airfare for the Essence of the Elbe trip.  The day I made the reservation I checked with a travel agent to see what I would pay for the same airfare (same dates and same airline).  The amount was slightly less, but I figured it was worth the extra money for the transfers.  After I returned from the trip, I checked my miles and found that I was credited with a small fraction of what I should have received.  Delta told me that my ticket was purchased in bulk, and I’m not entitled to the full miles. My impression is that Grand Circle got a great deal on my airfare but didn’t pass any of that savings onto me.   

Author: halfpint

Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

September 04, 2013

Ditto to what I am reading as this trip, a few weeks ago is the first time the mileage from Delta was not credited in full and I too depend on that for future in country flights.  It must be a new policy.  I have always made my flights through Grand circle so they would be responsible for the whole trip in case of any delays, glitzes, etc.  Oh well, sometimes it is hard to win!!!

Author: lyn

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2004

September 04, 2013

We are Delta frequent flier members and we were notified via e mail that they would no longer award full mileage credit for fares that were sold by bulk suppliers such as GCT.  I believe that I got the notice in late 2012.  We prefer to fly Delta out of our local airport and we prefer to have GCT make our air reservations because of the trip insurance policy that we purchase.  Travelers can opt to make their own air reservations and pay for transfers or they can fly with another airline.  I'm not sure if it is just Delta that has this policy.  I called Delta directly to let them know that I am not in favor of their new policy of only offering 25% of full mileage.  I do not hold GCT responsible for Delta's policy or for my decision to fly with Delta and lose the miles.  Travel just got a whole lot more expensive...

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

September 04, 2013

Can I earn Frequent Flyer miles on my Grand Circle flights?

Frequent Flier programs with any airline are maintained and operated solely by that airline, and mileage accrual is awarded at the discretion of the airlines. Because we’ve contracted special group rates to provide you with the best value for your tour, the airline may impose restrictions related to earning miles, and in some cases even prohibit mileage accrual. To earn any frequent flyer credit that the airline might grant, present your frequent flyer account number when you check in for your flights. Also, save all of your boarding passes and your passenger receipt from your airline ticket package. You may need to present these directly to the airline (not to Grand Circle) to claim any credit allowed.

Keep in mind that Grand Circle does not keep copies of your air tickets on file. Also, because we've contracted special group rates with airlines, you may not be able to redeem frequent flyer miles toward any portion of your Grand Circle flights or toward upgrades.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sayin'....Didn't you read GCT's FAQs (above)?  They tell you upfront:  "Because we’ve contracted special group rates to provide you with the best value for your tour, the airline may impose restrictions related to earning miles, and in some cases even prohibit mileage accrual".

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

September 05, 2013

YES - that policy has ALWAYS been there.   Apparently Delta just started applying a reduced credit.  SO - this is NOT a GCT/OAT issue, but an AIRLINE issue.   OAT/GCT has been upfront about this for quite some time -   the fact that an airline starts applying that reduction is not OAT/GCT's fault -  place "blame" (if any) where it belongs.

Author: s.wismer

September 05, 2013

Yes, of course if I had scoured every FAQ on the GCT web site, I would have seen the warning that I might not get full frequent flyer credit.  It was obviously my mistake to rely on my past experience with GCT where I always got full mileage credit instead of trying to ferret out possible Catch 22's by reading every word on the GCT website. It does rankle a bit that GCT got the benefit of buying a discounted ticket but did not pass that savings on to me,and that because of the benefit they got by buying a discounted ticket I did not get full mileage credit.  But I guess the lesson to be learned here is to refuse to accept Delta tickets.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

September 05, 2013

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments.  

Frequent Flier programs with any airline are maintained and operated solely by that airline, and mileage accrual is awarded at the discretion of the airlines. Because we’ve contracted special group rates to provide you with the best value for your tour, the airline may impose restrictions related to earning miles, and in some cases even prohibit mileage accrual. To earn any frequent flyer credit that the airline might grant, present your frequent flyer account number when you check in for your flights.

As Gobuckeyes mentioned, you can find out more information about Frequent Flyer Miles in the Frequently Asked Questions area of our website:
http://www.oattravel.com...eral/faq/air-travel.aspx

S.Wismer & Margaretmilne, we apologize for any lack of communication around this issue.  If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me offline at oatforummoderator@oattravel.com.

Kind Regards,
Michelle
OAT Forum Moderator

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

September 05, 2013

"we have always had GCT arrange our air travel since help with a glitch in that would be covered under the expensive insurance policy we also get from GCT."

What kind of a "glitch?" My understanding is that if anything happens, you miss a connection, etc. you deal with the airlines yourself. If it's the airline's fault they'll get you on the next flight.

I wonder what kind of deal GCT gets when buying in bulk if lower fares are available. There is a possibility that the fares change and if they I do I wonder if GCT gives a credit.

I looked at a trip for 2014 and the add-on from Atlanta was $1800. I looked at Delta's web site for the date and it was $1400, which leads me to believe that they are making estimates.  

I'm pretty much stuck with Delta and their service and FF miles value have changed drastically in the last few years.

Author: rwhansen

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

September 05, 2013

From the Delta web site:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules.

Effective September 1, 2012, a small number of special fares (often referred to as “unpublished fares”) now earn miles at a reduced rate. Unpublished fares are normally purchased through a specialized agent, third party or to a group.

Examples of Unpublished fares include:

• Student fares
  • Consolidator fares
  • Flights included as part of a cruise package
  • Discounted tour packages
  • Group fares

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When  you purchase your air and insurance through GCT, the cost for air coverage is included in their insurance.  If you choose to remove your air from GCT and obtain your air elsewhere, your refund includes what you paid GCT for air and that portion of the cost of insurance.

I have purchased air from GCT for some trips and directly with the airline for others.  When purchasing from the airline, I typically purchase insurance it offers or from other source.  USAA, for example, offers air coverage with cancellation for no reason, rental car collision coverage, and more.

I have never had the need to submit a claim for insurance coverage, either from GCT or another source, but the other source option is always there if you wish to receive full mileage credit from Delta.

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

September 05, 2013

I would like to thank the posters who wrote about not receiving the expected Delta SkyMiles as I was not aware that Delta had made this change. Does anyone know if other airlines are doing the same?

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

September 05, 2013

British Airways has been doing it for years. They give so little credit that I don't even bother puting my account number on the flights.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

September 05, 2013

FWIW, it has been my observation that GCT/OAT has basically priced themselves out of including their air. On my last two trips all with OAT (Costa Rica in 2012 & Ancient Kingdoms in 2013) and next OAT one (Turkey in 2014) I found that I could save several hundred dollars per person by booking my own air. And the savings included doing my own transfers too.

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

September 05, 2013

My only fear of doing my own reservations is that GCT/OAT has been known to adjust the departure dates, etc.   If you make your own flight arrangements -  then you're stuck with the penalties on the air fare.   There would have to be more than "a few hundred $" difference for me to take that risk.

Author: rwhansen

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

September 06, 2013

I used frequent flyer points to arrange for the airfare for one of our trips with GCT.  GCT changed the departure date and was very gracious in reimbursing us for the charges involved with changing our flight, which also included a charge for re-depositing the points.  I would have no concern should it happen again.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.