Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: magyarpilota

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2013

August 31, 2013

Hello,

I am traveling to Kenya and Tanzania on 9/22/13 and wanted to see if anyone who has taken this trip could suggest a gift to bring for the school visit?

Thank you.

Author: donaldjudy68

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2011

August 31, 2013

They can use school supplies, and that is what I usually what I bring on my school visits.  There are lots of sales on supplies now, and I just bought some for our OAT trip to Morocco this fall.  Got glue sticks, gel pens, erasers, binders, pencils, markers, colored pencils etc.  Someone in our Turkey group brought blow-up balls with world maps on them.  The schools are a wonderful experience.  I'm a retired teacher so I especially enjoy the visit.

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2001

August 31, 2013

You can also make a donation through the Grand Circle Foundation.  Check it out at http://www.grandcirclefoundation.org/

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

September 01, 2013

Supplies are always a good idea. The kids love stickers also!!!

Author: retirement

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2006

September 04, 2013

A fun item is to take a couple of Frisbee's for the children to play with.  They are inexpensive, light weight and easy to pack.  This is also a good gift to take to Orphanages.  Another thing I normally do when we visit a Third World Country is ask our group to collect their unopened soap, shampoo, tooth brushes etc.  In Africa we gave the bag of goodies to our Driver toward the end of the trip, when we stopped at his Village he gave them to his family.  You would have thought it was Christmas.  You may want to carry lollipops for the children along the way (be sure to ask your guide prior to distributing).  Our guide in Burma provided us with lollipops to give to the local children.  We had a fun fellow traveler that brought balloons for the children in the Villages and along the way.  He was a big hit everywhere we went: of course you need enough wind to blow up dozens of balloons.  You will love your trip: it was our first trip with OAT, and still our favorite.

Author: forgerr

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Antartcia-China-Italy-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-etc

Traveler Since: 2008

October 13, 2013

We returned in Aug 2013 from Ultimate Africa and we took Soccer balls, pencils, erasers that were in the shape of super heros.  Picked up most of this from Big Lots. Kids loved them. Soccer balls were a bit on the heavy side, however, they sure enjoyed getting them so it was worth the weight.

Author: pattimck

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2006

April 23, 2014

For the school visits, definitely bring school supplies, but avoid giving out candy. You'll probably be warned by your guides that there is little to no dental care available to the Maasai children, so consider something other than sugary gifts. Another traveler took bottles of soap with the little metal rings for blowing bubbles. That's now at the top of my gift list in addition to school supplies that are always so desperately needed.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.