Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2002

August 29, 2013

Have been considering this cruise.  On Day 3 of the itinerary it says you will "see" the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam.  Does this truly mean we will just see it or will we actually enter the house? If not, is there time to visit it by ourselves?

Any thoughts about the cruise itself? thanks for any info.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

August 29, 2013

When we did the trip about four years ago, we only cruised by and saw the house. If you want to enter it, you will have to do it on your free time. You will want to get tickets in advance to avoid long lines.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

August 29, 2013

We went to the house during our own time on the pre-trip for the Holland & Belgium cruise.  At that time, we didn't get the tickets ahead but went at the dinner hour when we were told it would be less crowded.  My son went to Amsterdam about 28 years ago when he backpacked around Europe after college, and he said it was the only place that had lines.  So I would do what Jack suggested and get tickets ahead.

We also went to the Rikjsmuseum, which we'd missed on that pre-trip; it wasn't included.  Although the Van Gogh was.  But I hadn't seen the Night Watch since it had been cleaned.  My previous time in Amsterdam was in 1954 after my college graduation.  Florence, since you saw Van Gogh when you were in Conflans you should pick the Rikjmuseum over the Van Gogh if they give you a choice.

Pauline

August 29, 2013

Pauline,

Actually, we visited the Rijksmuseum in 2011 on a Christmas cruise with another cruise line. They had the Vermeer exhibition at that time and it was included in the cost of the cruise.  WONDERFUL. 

We had the opportunity to stay at the museum while everyone else when to the diamond factory (not interested) so we headed right back to the ship and never regretted it.  Barely made the bus!

Yes, I loved the Van Gogh tour when in Conflans. (I simply cannot pronounce Auvers-sur-Oise :D) The day was rainy, dark and gloomy - perfect for Van Gogh, but we walked it all and the young man who was our tour guide was excellent and passionate about his subject.

(Doesn't that tell all!)  Sorry, I digress, but it was a wonderful trip.   Florence

Author: dgevry

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2010

August 29, 2013

Early in the morning is another good time to visit the Anne Frank House if you don't buy tickets ahead of time. We did this at the end of our Holland and Belgian cruise in 2011. We simply walked from the docking area to the museum  after breakfast (about a 20 minute walk), got in a short line and were in the museum about 9:05. They started letting people in about 8:50AM, even though the official opening time is 9:00. It took about 1 hour to see the museum.  However, in order to visit the Anne Frank House in the AM, we had to skip the included canal cruise. This was OK for us, as we had done it the previous year on the Great Rivers of Europe cruise. If you are doing a pre or post-trip in Amsterdam, an early morning visit might work out.  Otherwise get timed tickets on-line because the lines are very long later in the day.  The Great Rivers is a fantastic cruise - enjoy.

Diane

August 30, 2013

Thanks, Diane.  Will keep these tips in mind.  We are thinking probably June or July. Hope the weather is good  and those rivers behave next year.  :D 

Florence

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.