Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

August 26, 2013

The survey that you just sent out is missing one widely looked for item. The ability to do the program evaluation form online.

Author: pegheeter1

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2001

August 26, 2013

Thanks for reminding one and all how appropriate that would be, as well as making it possible for a couple to do two separate evaluations!

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

August 26, 2013

One of the questions was how we want to have the day's itinerary, optional tours, tip info,weather and a few other items. 

I don't know about any one else, but, if I have to go on the Internet to get this information instead of the steward bringing in when s/he turns down the bed, I don't want to hook up my laptop (I don't have an I-phone and don't want one), after I return from dinner--it's time for me to get ready for the next day and turn in.  Besides, ever since WiFi came on to ships, we have NEVER been able to get on the Internet or email, even when we upgraded Interent Explorer and had the Admin people help us.  This question did not have an option of explaining why I chose the answer I did, like the previous question. 

I hope GCT(Michelle, are you reading this?)  takes that into consideration when deciding to make everything Web based.  I want a hard copy of such info, as well as the Daily News.

Thanks.

Author: fleetfoot

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2006

August 26, 2013

I agree that the evaluation form should be available on-line.  Also couples should have two evaluation forms to fill out.  My wife and I have different opinions on what rating to give each question.  By not allowing her to fill out her own form, GCT is saying that she doesn't have an opinion.  It's like she wasn't on the trip at all.  Everyone that paid for and completed the trip should have an evaluation form to fill out. 

Author: rkauzlarich

Traveler Since: 2009

August 27, 2013

I am so glad that the topic of 2 separate post-trip surveys being available online for a couple has surfaced once again.  This has been discussed before on the Forum, but there has been no response either way from GCT/OAT. I do think, however, that GCT/OAT gave us a bit of insight into what they are thinking by NOT including this item on the recent email survey that was sent out.  Apparently they are not even considering this as an option and therefore did not even bother to ask. I am not buying the notion that this is not possible from a technical standpoint since many of the online options that were suggested in the survey are as complicated, if not more complicated than this.

But it is wrong to speculate on others' intentions, so how about a response from the company? MIchelle, please do not post that you will contact me offline as I do not want a phone call but rather to have the response posted so that others who are also interested read it.

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

August 27, 2013

singsling -

I do not believe the intention is to change access to the daily activities DURING the trip.  The intention of the question was access to information in PLANNING the trip BEFORE leaving home!  Also, your comments only apply to ships, and this survey is to all of GCT/OAT trips - daily activities aren't presented in any form other than "oral" on most trips other than ships.  BUT, again, if you look at the survey - it was in regards to PLANNING your trip.

Author: tomnat

Trips Taken: 18
Traveler Since: 2004

August 27, 2013

Most, if not all, trips (both land & boat) that we have been on with GCT have paper hand-outs of planned daily activities and/or flip charts in the hotel lobby.

We did not receive this survey; so cannot comment on its contents. However, one more time, we add our vote for an online option for the post-trip survey; so we can start submitting them again!!

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

August 27, 2013

The survey is about travel planning so I wouldn't expect it to include anything about how evaluations are done.

Author: rkauzlarich

Traveler Since: 2009

August 27, 2013

Yes, it's true that the survey was about PLANNING for a trip, but we saw it as one more opportunity to comment on the related issue of use of the internet for surveying customers after a trip.

August 27, 2013

The last question I read twice, and it discussed how I would like to receive notifications while on the trip.  The first several questions were indeed about PLANNING, and BOOKING, online or by phone, or by online and phone, and then having the information about our booked trip sent to us, via email, by letter, view on Internet.  The last portion was, to me, while on a trip. 

And I agree about having two evaluations for a husband and wife, the same as when two people not married, rooming together, would each have an evaluation.  Seems only fair, especially when the second half of a couple pays the same amount for the trip as the first half. 

I tried to find my survey, but cannot go back and look for it.

Author: ddalexa

Traveler Since: 2003

August 28, 2013

I did not receive the survey but am trying to surmise the gist of some of the questions.

My netbook does not come along on all trips. Neither my husband nor I have a phone that works outside the U.S., and even within the U.S. we can't retrieve voice mail or text message with our 'emergency only' cell phones.  Therefore,  printed communications on boats (which were provided on our last trip) is the only way for us to received daily information.  

If you are contemplateing a method to communicate information before we leave for the trip:

(a) Provide a link on  the ' my reservations' portion of  your website; or; use the 'message' feature to each specific person on the trip on your website.  This would work for those of use who check the web regualarly -  but not everyone does that.

(b) send through pony express (regular mail)

(d) I am afraid to suggest regular email to the whole 'travel group' since we still do not receive your general emails, just the individual ones.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

August 29, 2013

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments about our Technology Survey.

Based on your prior feedback, we are currently evaluating how we can deliver our post trip survey online without impacting how we receive feedback from you, our travelers. The feedback we receive from these surveys is an important tool that we use to develop & change our itineraries.

Our Technology Survey was sent to you to determine how we could improve our online services before you depart on your vacation. If you have additional comments on how we can improve your overall online experience, we would like to hear those as well.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

September 03, 2013

I stand by my earlier post about responding to a question on Internet use while on a trip.  I was able to go back on to the site to take the survey, although I didn't re-take it as I did it last week already.

The last question  is:  "While on your trip, which of the following information would be helpful for you to have access to online (via your own personal tablet or laptop)?"

The information for which they are asking this question is :  Daily Itinerary, Optional Tours, Tipping, Weather, Currency exchange. 

This whole question is about WHILE ON YOUR TRIP.  It doesn't say BEFORE YOUR TRIP.

Again, I don't want to have to rush in from a tour or afternoon at leisure, rush to get cleaned up for dinner, rush back from dinner, to check my Internet for tomorrow's activities.  Or be late for dinner waiting for a wireless connection.  Last trip, we had to wait till Admin could give you a password and if someone else was using the one computer on the ship, we had to wait.

I do not want to get info daily activities or other info  from the Internet WHILE ON A TRIP. 

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

September 03, 2013

I, on the other hand, would like to have as much information as possible available wlectronically, not to the exclusion of hardcopy, but in addition to it.  By the end of some trips, you have a huge file of tattered hardcopy documents, sometimes water stained and out of sequence. You also end up with thick folders of these papers in your files, if you want to keep the memories in some form. Neat computer files would allow you to more easily and accurately document your trip in a trip report, blog, etc. As long as the hardcopy is also available, I don't know how anyone could object to have electronic media available as well. We have the better part of 2 file drwers full of such hardcopy, not that all of it would be eliminated, but it would cut down on the clutter and make access much easier.  Wiith wi-fi becoming available in more hotels and other public places, we should be taking  advantage of it, The quality of the wi-fi also needs to be upgraded on the river ships as more people take advantage of it. The current networks will not support much of an increase in use

Author: garyrr

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

September 04, 2013

singsling -  OK - but read your quote again - it says AVAILABLE - it doesn't even imply exclusivity.  This would be an ADDITIONAL means of having the information AVAILABLE

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.