Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dotti

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2009

July 02, 2010

We will be taking this trip on September 16 , can anyone tell us what type of clothing to bring for this time of the year.  Will we need warm jackets?  Thanks for any advice

Author: sweetpeafamily

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

July 21, 2010

Dotti, we went and looked up the weather for China for the month of our trip.  You should be able to Google it.  Once we knew what the average temperatures were, etc, we were able to better plan for the trip.  I've stated previously, that we took 21 t shirts, 21 pairs of sox and underwear, a few pairs of pants, two of which had zip off legs, along with a couple pairs of shorts and a sweatshirt.  We left all the t shirts at each hotel for the cleaning staff, which was greatly appreciated, and we threw away all the sox and underwear.  By the end of the trip, we had tons of room for gifts and trinkets, so much so that our luggage was underweight.  Everyone on our trip thought it was a great idea to do this.  I will say one of the couples on our trip gave a great tip.  They keep a bin at home of clothes that they no longer like, etc.  Then, when they're taking a trip, they simply pull out the clothes from the bin, take them with them on the trip and leave them at each hotel as well.

This is one awesome trip.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  If you are lucky enough to have the same Program Guide as we did, Jason Xu, you will be blessed!!  Have fun!

Author: jggoodrich

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2001

February 22, 2011

I really like the idea of leaving clothing at the hotels.  We are going to China August 4-24, 2011 and I am hoping we can just 2 carry-ons.  We did this to Panama a couple years ago.  We've been told that China is very hot in August and we think we are okay with that. 

Any suggestions or ideas about clothing?  We thought zipoff pants, t-shirts and quick dry things. 

This will be our 9th GCT/OAT travel and we can't say enough good about our previous experiences.  South Dakota/Arizona travelers

Author: aspengal

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

A partial list: Best of Kenya+Tanzania Safari(OAT), Peru(OAT), Canada(GCT), Thailand+Cambodia+Laos(OAT), Morocco(OAT), Egypt+Jordan(GCT), Australia(OAT), China(GCT), Ireland(GCT), Turkey, Tuscany+Amalfi Coast(GCT), Prague, Greece(sailing), the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Mexico (20+ visits), Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Jamaica (5 visits), Grenada + the Grenadines (w/Windjammer cruise), plus travel within the U.S.

Traveler Since: 1999

March 14, 2011

I did this trip in October 2 years ago.  You'll have your 'coolest' weather at the beginning of the trip in Beijing & Shanghai & the Yangtze, then it'll get steadily warmer the further south you go. Check the forecast for up to 2 weeks in advance on websites like Accuweather.com for the major cities you'll be in.  Like many travelers, esp. in cooler weather, I bring layers of clothing (a tank top under a t-shirt under a 3/4 or long-sleeved shirt under a fleece jacket).  My GCT fleece jacket was as warm as I needed, even on a chilly, damp, windy morning on the Great Wall (with my layers under it, of course).  Do bring a well-fitting pair of walking sandals for Xian, Guilin and Hong Kong.  I'd brought only walking SHOES, & my feet got very hot at the end of the trip (fortunately, I found some nice Rockport sandals on 50%-off sale in Hong Kong - wore them remainder of the trip, & still wear them in the summer).  A good raincoat or poncho over your fleece also works as a 'windbreaker' on any damp, rainy or windy days, are very lightweight & don't take up much room.

China is a very 'casual' country - capris, jeans, chinos or khaki pants, polo shirts, and a couple of one-piece, short-sleeved pique-knit 'polo' dresses worked for me.  Do bring a good sun hat & supportive, broken-in, walking shoes-sneakers, since at many sites you'll be on uneven pavement or stones (you do not need 'hiking boots').  I did not feel 'under-dressed' anywhere in China, even in Hong Kong.

Author: mauiwahine

Traveler Since: 2011

May 17, 2011

Dotti,

I am taking this trip with my mom at the same time as you so it will be nice to meet you! I am from Hawaii and my mom, Virginia is from So. California.  Looking so forward to this trip.  Had actually booked the Egypt trip but decided to change in February. 

We had the same question as you and decided to bring a light weight jacket that is easy to pack, etc. I am wondering if an iron is available throughout the China Yangtze trip.  I don't want to bring my travel one if not necessary.   If someone who has taken this trip can let me know I would appreciate it. It might be listed someplace in their literature but I haven't had the time to read it all.

It sounds like a wonderful trip and we look forward to meeting our travel companions!

Aloha,

Robyn

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

May 18, 2011

You can Google for information about the hotels, which can include reviews from other travelers.  Also, check Trip Advisor.  Some, if not most, hotels have websites but the information may not always be accurate with regard to minor matters. 

I've never bothered with an iron.  It's a chore I hate, anyway.  Your clothes are going to get wrinkled from sitting in buses, and it's all very casual.

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

December 03, 2011

zhan198578...

What??? 

I have no clue to what your post is...

Am I the ONLY one???

hootie

Author: robsmom

Traveler Since: 2011

December 03, 2011

Hootie, Thank you. I taught middle school for 30 yrs  and figured I wasn't smart enough to figure it out. Perhaps if I was a college professor I might have understood Like you, I am confused

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

December 03, 2011

Hootie and Rob's Mom.  You are not the only ones.  I was waiting for someone else to post first.  I keep reading it and try to make some sense.  It's sort of Zen?  I thought there had been several of these postings, but I can't find the others (if there were any).

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

December 04, 2011

There were a couple of other cryptic messages but I don't recall which thread.

It's a puzzle all right. I wonder if he (she) means cooperation = group travel? Exchange with native = meeting local people?

I think Ed's right, probably a guide or travel agent.

Countries Visited:

December 04, 2011

Then how do you suppose he/she was able to post?  The rules are quite specific about no commercial postings?  Maybe someone reported the other one(s).

Countries Visited:

December 04, 2011

I just reported it.

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

December 04, 2011

about zahn post...

Glad I'm not alone...thought I was losing it for a few days!!!  I too kept reading it and trying to figure it out.  Since it was posted for a couple days & no one questioned it...I was sure it had to be me.  Kinda funny how we were all waiting for someone else to go first.  I just couldn't stand it any longer!  I thought he/she had another post also.  I don't think it made sense to me either.  Maybe zahn will read our posts and explaine.

Author: mgold

Traveler Since: 2012

March 22, 2012

Has anyone who has been on this trip taken an Ipad. I am curious what you did for security so it was not stolen on the boat or at the hotels. Were there safe deposit boxes big enough for the Ipad

Thank you

Marty

Author: mgold

Traveler Since: 2012

March 22, 2012

Has anyone who has been on this trip taken an Ipad. I am curious what you did for security so it was not stolen on the boat or at the hotels. Were there safe deposit boxes big enough for the Ipad

Thank you

Marty

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.