Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: miriamjd1

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 1999

August 09, 2013

I am wondering if anyone has taken the trip to South Africa.  I want to know if you were ever asked to show a yellow fever certificate.  I am not taking any of the extensions; however, the plane stops in Senegal and if for some reason we had to spend a night there, we might then have to prove we don't have yellow fever.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Miriam

Author: garyrr

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Traveler Since: 2000

August 09, 2013

Unless medically contraindicated - TAKE THE SHOT!   Besides the possible legal requirements - do you want to risk getting yellow fever?  

Author: forgerr

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Antartcia-China-Italy-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-etc

Traveler Since: 2008

October 13, 2013

I agree, take the shot, it's just not worth the chance of getting it.  Or get a letter from your Dr saying you can't take it.

Author: travelann

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2010

October 14, 2013

I took the trip this past March. The plane landed in Senegal, everyone stayed on board,and no one asked about a yellow fever shot. If you check SA web page they very clearly outline who needs and who doesn't need the shot.  My feeling... if you donot need the shot,if shot is not required for entry, why would you get an unecessary shot ??? Just my opinion.

Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

October 14, 2013

"If it's not required - why get it?"  - What a SILLY attitude!    If you're entering a potential area of yellow fever - WHY RISK GETTING YELLOW FEVER?   The "legalities" shouldn't be the primary decision maker.   Do you REALLY want to risk getting yellow fever?????

Author: travelann

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2010

October 14, 2013

You don't risk getting yellow fever unless you travel in a yellow fever zone. South Africa is not a yellow fever area.The plane lands in Senegal ( a yellow fever area ) but you do not deplane.Therefore , you are not in a yellow fever area. I see no good reason getting uneccessary shots  "just in case ,better safe than sorry ' In that case we might as well fill our bodies with all sorts of medicine , "just in case ". This is just my opinion and of course everyone should do what feels best for them.

Countries Visited:

October 14, 2013

As long as that is the ONLY place you're going.  The other issue is a plane problem and you DO get off in Senegal!  Then, when you get to S Africa - you don't have the shot and may be forced to get one in the airport - or sent back.   Another risk you're taking.

Author: miriamjd1

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 1999

October 26, 2013

Back from my trip.  No one ever asked to see any yellow fever certificate but I did have a letter from my doctor explaining why I didn't have the shot.  Not good idea for those over 65 years old.  I did take malaria pills but only saw one mosquito and several other people did not take the pills.  I did get a typhoid shot to be on the safe side, the shot lasts for 5 years as opposed to the pills which are only good for one or two years.

Countries Visited:

October 26, 2013

You have the typhoid backwards. The shot is good for two years, the pills for five.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 27, 2013
To confirm garyrr's post, from the CDC.gov web site:

Who should get typhoid vaccine and when?

Routine typhoid vaccination is not recommended in the United States, but typhoid vaccine is recommended for:
  • Travelers to parts of the world where typhoid is common. (NOTE: typhoid vaccine is not 100% effective and is not a substitute for being careful about what you eat or drink).
  • People in close contact with a typhoid carrier.
  • Laboratory workers who work with Salmonella Typhi bacteria.
Inactivated typhoid vaccine (shot)
  • One dose provides protection. It should be given at least 2 weeks before travel to allow the vaccine time to work.
  • A booster dose is needed every 2 years for people who remain at risk.
Live typhoid vaccine (oral)
  • Four doses: one capsule every other day for a week (day 1, day 3, day 5, and day 7). The last dose should be given at least 1 week before travel to allow the vaccine time to work.
  • Swallow each dose about an hour before a meal with a cold or lukewarm drink. Do not chew the capsule.
  • A booster dose is needed every 5 years for people who remain at risk.
Either vaccine may safely be given at the same time as other vaccines.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.