Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: ddalexa

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2003

August 06, 2013

We are booked for a Sept trip: London, Scotland, Wales with pre-trip to London.   Combining the pre and main London parts of the trip (excluding arrival day) it looks like we have 2 free afternoons plus 3 mostly free days.  

A 2 day travel card (presumably not with a pass to tourist attractions) is included in the pre-tour.  Is it worth while to purchase a travel pass (visit attractons)  for 3 or 6 days (no offered for 4 or 5 days) or a travel pass/ travel card combination?  (Our first visit to London).

If 'yes' does anyone know if it is easy to get from the Tower Hotel to the pass pickup kiosk at 11a Charing Cross Road, WC2H OEP  (near Leicaster Square)? 

Thanks for any suggestions pro or con.

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

August 06, 2013

Several years ago my wife and I made an independent trip to London and bought the London Pass at that time; however, we bought it on-line and did not have to go anywhere to pick it up.  We found it very useful at back then.  I note that you can google London Pass and all the information about it is listed there...

Author: porkchop55

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

August 07, 2013

We took did the England Scotland and Wales tour in April of this year and did our own breakaway in London before the start of the tour.    I bought the 3 day London pass for entry into attractions and the Oyster Card to ride the Tube and buses.   I purchased both of them online and had them mailed to me so I did not have to spend time getting them once I arrived in London.   Since you are taking the pre-trip GCT will give you an Oyster Card so you will not need to purchase a travel card.

As for the London pass you should do as wattsed suggested and go online and see what attractions it covers that you want to visit.    That is what I did.   I made a list of thing I wanted to see and then used the London Pass sight to see how much it would cost to purchase each ticket vs. what the 3 day pass cost.   It came out to be a little less using the London Pass plus for some attractions like the Tower of London you don’t have to wait in a ticket line.  The pass also resulted in seeing some things I would not have wanted to pay separately for.  For example after watching the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace we used to pass to visit the royal stabled next to the Palace.  

If you decide to pick up the pass in London you can ride the Tube Circle or District Lines from Tower station to Charing Cross Station to get to the kiosk.   The closest Tube station to the Tower Hotel is the Tower Station.  The best way to describe where the station is in relation to the hotel is that the London Tower complex is a big square and the hotel is at the opposite corner.    

Author: ddalexa

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2003

August 07, 2013

Thanks porkchop55, that is exactly the extra information I needed.  I had googled and found the London Pass before posting, but wasn't sure how to decide if it was worthwhile.  Also knowing that we will have the Oyster Card, vs the TravelCard is helpful.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.