Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: tomnat

Traveler Since: 2004

August 05, 2013

While reading the Rhine & Mosel reviews from the last year, one suggested grouping Riverboat folks by walking ability or maybe interests, e.g. hikers vs. strollers or shoppers.

Some reviewers with a walking disability appreciated a PD who went slow enough & assisted them, when necessary, and conversely, other reviewers complained about being slowed down by slower walkers.

We do not know if GCT tries to group people by interests &/or phyical ability, but I think it is worth discussing, as it might make walking tours more efficient & interesting for all customers of multi-group/PD riverboat trips.

Note, one of us is a photographer, who with a headset has not usually minded a slower group, since it allows time to take photographs. Even though I still can walk fast, many times photographs cause me to lag behind my group!!

Author: nanaandpapa

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

August 05, 2013

Currently river cruise groups seem to be based primarily on pre and post trip slections, such that friendships that develop on a pre-trip are not separated on the main trip, and people that are going to be together for the post-trip get a better chance to develop friendships on the main trip. to be continued on the post thrip. These relationships also are true of relationships with the PD. There are many ways to potentially make up groups, but this seems to be the most effective. When there is a particularly challanging walking day a slower walking group could be made up, if there is an additional staff member to lead it, as they did with us on Kizhi Island  on the Russia Revealed cruise. The choice of pre and post trip is also a measure of the interests of the travelers.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.