Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jayge

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2004

July 29, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from the Great Rivers of Europe and just received our July air miles from Delta. 

We EACH flew Atlanta to Amsterdam (4,387 miles) and Amsterdam to Vienna (596 miles).

Return trip:  Brussels to Atlanta (4,412 miles).

On our July air miles statement we received (EACH) only 1,249 miles total for the trip.

I wrote to Delta and this is the reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you are aware, effective September 1st, select special fares which
are often referred to as “unpublished fares”  will no longer earn full
mileage credit. Typically, these fares are sold by a third party or
travel agent and examples include:

• Group fares
• Student fares
• Consolidator fares
• Flights included as part of a tour or cruise package
• Hotwire and Priceline.com tickets

This change aligns with the mileage policies of our airline partners as
well as with other airlines.

Our records indicates that your ticket is a Bulk
fare ticket which is not eligible for full mileage credit.

Additionally, as per the guidelines of Delta speciality sales fares, you
have received 25% base miles for flight 81, 238 and 9282 as you have
traveled in 'U' class of service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone noticed this in the air miles they receive?  I was unaware of this change of policy and do not remembering reading about it.

Also, since we are contemplating a possible new trip with GCT, I got a price online from one of the Companies (think is was Priceline) and the air fare is identical with what GCT would charge us through them but we would get "transportation" to the ship with GCT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since we do not use an airmiles charge cards much, our only way to really collect airmiles would have been by our overseas trips but now to get only 1,249 miles, it would take us years to collect enough to be awarded a ticket.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

July 29, 2013

For many years, British Air (BA) has been giving a very small percentage of miles flown on group rates. Between the low credits on group ratesand the difficulty of gettig reward tickets, I have more or less stopped paying attention to FF miles. 

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 29, 2013

I've never received mileage credits on flights where the reservations were made through GCT.  Only on the ones I've made myself with the airlines.  Any time I've asked, the answer always was that when it was bulk ticketing, the credits didn't apply.

July 29, 2013

Pauline, I have always obtained our air travel through GCT and never checked the prices if I placed it on my own until today and, as I said in my email above, the price was almost the same so it is better, if it is the same, to go through GCT because you do get transfer to the ship or hotel.

Have you ever checked prices on your own against GCT?  I always felt it was better to go through them in case the flight was late or cancelled.  Many people go one day early to make sure they get to the rivercruise on time.

Jayge

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10

July 29, 2013

Until my last two trips I have always purchased airfare through the tour company, and I have received miles awards only from Lufthansa on flights booked through Norwegian Cruise Lines. On my last two tours, one with GCT, I booked my own flights with United and, of course, got the full mileage awards. On a tour to Hawaii the cost I paid for round-trip air fare plus round-trip hotel shuttle fare, was about $300 less than that charged by the tour company. On my recent GCT tour of Ireland I purchased my own air from Washington Dulles to Belfast and from Dublin to Dulles. I purchased airport to hotel transfers from GCT. The total I paid for two persons was almost $200 less than GCT was charging for the air fare. But you have to check each time. On the Northwest National Parks tour with GCT, the price I would have paid United by booking direct was about $150 more than that charged by GCT, and I would still have had to get from the airport to the hotel on my own.

I also get air miles only from flights and not from an affinity card, so they don't add up very quickly. However, on our flight from Dublin to Dulles neither my nor my First Mate's audio system worked. The flight attendent gave us a form to mail in that he said would get us some added miles, but I have no high expectations. 

July 29, 2013

Thank you both, Captain Larry and Pauline for replying.

On a couple of previous trips, we did get some airmiles from Lufthansa and Air France but they expired since we did not get to use those companies often enough.

Probably, they too might not award much or anything at all on Bulk tickets.

Jayge

P.S. I will eventually write about the rivercruise on the Harmony June 22 ending with Bruge post trip...Great Rivers of Europe.  This was a second time for us on it except for staying at the end in Bruge in a wonderful hotel which was a Monastery previously.  I love those historical buildings instead of the modernistic hotels.  I believe it was called the NH Bruge.

Anyway, the cruise was delightful and we met so many interesting people, as usual.

We are thinking about taking the Seine River at Christmas but am not too interested in the Paris pretrip as we do not like traveling around strange cities by ourselves and Grand Circle more or less leaves you on your own there.  This would be a second time for us on the Seine River except it has fewer stops at Christmas.

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

July 30, 2013

I have ALWAYS used GCT/OAT air on all trips.  I've ALWAYS received miles.   I always use the "US partner" program so I get usable miles.  Example - for Lufthansa - I always have them credit our United account.  Almost all of the big international carriers have partnerships with one of the US major carriers.  So all my miles are kept on either American, United or Delta.  There are very few major foreign airlines that don't partner with one of them.

It's useless to get miles on a foreign airline program. 

And, so far, I've always received full mileage credit (except, for one trip on Qantas, I believe - it was at 50% of standard).

Author: travelann

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2010

July 30, 2013

I have a United mileage card and have always received full miles when booking with GCT. I received full miles using United partner LH and also SA. Maybe thi is a DL thing ?

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

July 30, 2013

Except for BA, I had always got full miles, but I had to contact the airline or its web site to put it on my account. It' just that using so many different airlines, it was difficult to get enough miles on one airline to matter for other than magazines.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 30, 2013

I guess it's me.  When I've flown BA on a GCT trip and the air arrangements were made by GCT, I never got American miles, even when I asked.  The same with getting United miles when I flew LH.

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

July 30, 2013

I don't "ask" -  I enter it in my record on line.   Just back from a trip on Lufthansa (booked by OAT) - - and I put in my United number and got full credit.

Nanapapa -  as I said - there are really only three FF programs (United, Delta and American) that you really need to get miles on most major international carriers.   By concentrating on three - you should be able to accumulate needed miles.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

July 30, 2013

All  of these comments are ineresting.  As long as we have traveled with GCT, we have received miles for flights booked by GCT.  I have only United or US Ariways.  Both airlines we've used to fly to Europe.  Lufthansa has also been an airline we have been booked on.  I always ask for Star Alliance mileage credit on United, whether we are flying Croatia airlines, Lufthansa, or another airline.  And we have always gotten the miles credited.  I never noticed the difference in mileage received.  Mostly, I notice on our ticket airline itinerary the mileage to be awarded for each segment.  Lufthansa is partnered with Uinted, so I just give LH our mileaage plus numbers.  We have a mileage with Northwest, now Delta,and also with Delta.  We don't like either of those lines,so never accept flights on them (except we did when we took a Uniworld cruise) and will never again use Delta.  I always tell GCT that, too, from our very first trip with GCT.  We never received mileage on the internal flight Helsinki to Kirkens Norway for the Norwegian Lapland and Hurtigruten cruise.  Not part of Star Alliance. 

If you check the list of Star Alliance airlines, there are quite a few airlines to partner with, and that's how I know if I can get miles.  When I call the airlines to confirm my itinerary, seats, any other special needs, I ask them if they have our mileage number, and they always take it and we get the credit.  have never used the miles we have, though.  I gave some to my husband when we went back East in 2001, so we didn't have to pay full p[rice.  That just about wiped me out.  Once, we did not get cerdit for Lufthansa because I forgot to give my mileage card at the ticket counter.  I could have sent in a letter to get the miles, but got lazy and didn't.  I learned I could have gotten them if I'd asked for them.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.