Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: mary jayne halli...

GCT Trips Taken: 27
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1989

July 28, 2013

Am anticipating my soon to be trip to Italy, Tuscany, the riviera and am wondering about the ease of charging my digital camera batteries, etc as the literature indicates the possibility of several different  plugs and recepticles needed.  It has been so easy on the river ship as most of them had an area that had the american currrent which of course I know will not be available in the italian hotels.  I am going to bring a transformer just in case, although my items do indicate the use of either current, 110 or 220, just wondering about the other plugs.  I guess I just like to worry but am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this?  If someone has had recent experience in this, please help me.  thanks.  Halfpint!!

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

July 29, 2013

I haven't seen any battery charger that wasn't dual voltage in MANY YEARS!   So, all you need it the plug adaptors.  No need for any transformers.

Author: porkchop55

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

Vietnam, Cambodia, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

August 08, 2013

The only type of plugs I’ve seen in Italy are the two round plug type.   If you have multiple things to charge I would suggest get plug adapter and a 6 foot extension cord, one of those with 3 plugs on the end that sale for about $2.00.   Using the extension cord allows you to charge two things at once with a single plug adapter and is nice when the plug is in a inconvenient location like down behind a desk.  It allows you to place the things being charged on top of the desk

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

August 08, 2013

The only thing I would add is that the prongs on the Italian (Southern European) adapter are larger than the prongs on the Northern European (say, German) adapter. If you have a set one will be marked for Southern Europe. If you are purchasing a single adapter look at them carefully and/or Google it to see which one to get.

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

August 08, 2013

I know there is a slight difference in size between north and south - but I've used the same adaptor all over europe - and had no issues

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

August 08, 2013

You are certainly correct, gary, but since  I had both I used the appropriate one in each location. I would think the Northern Europe adapter would tend to "fall out" of the Italian socket.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.