Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gaynell

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2005

July 28, 2013

Has anyone gone on the Lake Maggiore post trip to "The Rivieras: France, Italy, and the Isles"?  I particularly want to know about the optional day trip to Lake Como, with a boat ride and a walking tour of Bellagio. Staying in Stresa that day and riding the funicular and seeing the botanical garden sounds lovely, too, and I'm wondering which is the better choice.  Of course, it may depend on the weather. 

If you've been on the Lake Maggiore post trip, would you please share any observations and opinions about the experience?  Thanks!

August 03, 2013

So is there not one single person out there who has gone on the Lake Maggiore post trip to "The Rivieras - France, Italy, and the Isles" ????   How about someone who has at least been to Lake Como and/or Bellagio, or in Stresa?

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

August 03, 2013

gaynell,

Unfortunately an apparemt;ly very small percentage of the GCT travelers participate in this forum, and an even smaller percentage  check it on a regular basis. Even if you read all of the Traveler Reviews of the trip, there are only 12 and I don't know if any of them reference Lake Maggiore. At least, with the old form of the traveler reviews, you could search all of the reviews for a term to find it. It would be nice if GCT could do something to encourage participation in Traveler Reviews and this forum, possibly by having a drawing with some sort of a reward on a periodic basis, but, as it is said :"You can lead a horse to water, but...........".

Author: kristenc

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2012

August 04, 2013

I'm glad nanaandpapa responded as they did. I agree that very few GCT travelers participate in the forum. Actually, I think many don't even know it exists. I know I talked to one traveler who had been on many trips, and didn't know about the forum. It's a shame, because being able to connect in this way can really enhance travel planning and pleasure.

October 27, 2013

Since no one answered my original post, I will answer it myself, now that our trip is over.

Our post trip (to The Rivieras: France, Italy, and the Isles) was the best part of our trip!  We loved the city of Torino, which has so many interesting things to see and experience.  The region around the the lakes is so beautiful that it takes your breath away. The Lake Orta excursion is interesting, Stresa is a lovely little town that is very walkable, and the Borromeo Islands day was great fun. The food everywhere was absolutely delicious. We did take the optional excursion to Lake Como and had a wonderful day.

Our early October dates presented us with the varied weather we had on this post trip. Although some days were sunny, we did have quite a bit of rain, and used our umbrellas and raincoats a lot.  There was a huge howling storm one night in Stresa, and we woke up to a different world:  Snow on the surrounding Alps!  The temperature was cool, but the views were spectacular.

I would definitely recommend this post trip to other travelers, especially if they are lucky enough to get Lisa as their tour director.  Her personal discoveries and arrangements were amazing, and her enthusiasm, sense of humor, organizational skills, and ability to teach put her in the category of one of the best tour directors we have ever experienced.  We would follow her again any time!

Author: arnold

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2004

October 28, 2013

I,  for one,  would love to see GCT put togeter a land tour of the places in northern Italy that are visited by this extension,  as well as the Bologna extension,  and including the optionals. Perhaps add a few days in Milan.  I think it would make a terrific  15 day trip  and a refreshing change from the same-old destinations of  most Italian excursions.  GCT has already done the research into these destintions, anyway.  Does anyone else have any interest in this kind of tour?

Author: kristenc

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2012

October 28, 2013

Definitely! I would love to see GCT put together a land trip in the Alps including train rides such as the Bernina Express and Glacier Express. Could include Italian Alps, French Alps, Swiss Alps, Austrian Alps, etc. 15 days sounds right. It wouldn't be cheap, but what wonderful locales and varied cultures and cuisines!

Author: retirement

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2006

October 29, 2013

Gaynell, Thank you for responding to your own Forum inquiry.  We are taking "The Rivieras" trip in 2014, including Lake Maggiore.   I was so happy to hear how pleased you were with the post trip.  Hopefully the main trip was as great.  I look forward to reading your full review of the trip.  We have been on the Arethusa, so we know the ship experince will be wonderful.  Thanks again for the update.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

October 29, 2013

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments - this thread has been forwarded to our Planning Department for review.

We are currently working on new Grand Circle Vacations for 2014.  Within the next few weeks, we'll be announcing some new trips.  Stay tuned!

As always, we appreciate your suggestions.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 29, 2013

Regarding land tour to the Italian Alps, lakes, etc.  They had a land tour several years (maybe 4), that I looked at at the time, we had just completed the Tuscany and Sorrento trip.  My husband was not interested in Northern Italy, part of Austrian Alps, too, so I never pursued the trip.

I don't know why GCT stopped this tour, but I haven't seen it advertised for a few years. 

We are scheduled for "The Rivieras" next year as well.  We did not choose Lake Maggiore post trip for same reason, my husband was not particularly interested, as we drove through the Italian and Austrian Alps twice when we lived in Germany, and I even shopped at the flea market on Saturday at Lake Como and bought a pair of shoes, some figs, some chocolate, etc. during that trip.  We chose instead the post trip after Nice, Aix de Provence.  After not being able to go into the cemetery in Normandy last month due to Government shut-down, I think we will like to visit the American cemetery on this post trip.  I would like to hear more of the reviews of both post trips on the Rivieras cruise. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.