Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jjb65

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2008

July 27, 2013

We will be on the August 25 trip from Florence to Nice.  Would like to visit the Uffizi if possible.  It seems there is time on day 4 if the Chianti optional trip is not taken or on the afternoon of day 5, listed as free time.  The listed hotel (Albani) appears to be in walking distance but of course it is possible we could be in another hotel.  Anyone with firsthand experience able to offer suggestions?  Is getting tickets in advance advisable or can the PD handle that?  What other hotels are used?  Thanks in advance.

Author: gaynell

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2005

July 27, 2013

One other Florence hotel which is used on this trip is the Croce di Malta. Several people mentioned it in their reviews. We are taking this trip in the fall, and we, also, had wondered about the possibility of seeing the Uffizi Gallery.  The Etruscan Museum in Volterra, the old synagogue in Florence, and the small Chagall Museum in Nice are others which we are hoping to manage to include.

Author: robsmom

OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2011

July 27, 2013

Favorite trick - Log onto    vPike   Click directions   put in  from - 12 via fiume Florenc Itlay(Albani address)  then   to - Uffizi Gallery Florence Italy.. You can choose walk or drive directions. Move the little orange man on left to the path and you can even see what the streets look like as you walk to museum ..... So much fun

Author: jandb

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

July 28, 2013

We returned from this trip on June 25.  We considered the Chianti optional tour to be one of the highlights of our trip, not to be missed.  (There were many other highlights!)   Many of us went to the Uffizi on our free afternoon.  ( I don't know which day because we were traveling in the opposite direction.). Our PD reserved tickets and times for us so we didn't have to stand in the long line.  We had plenty of time there.  It was an easy walk from the Albani. 

Hope you have as grand a trip as we did. 

Betty

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

July 28, 2013

Robsmom, thanks for the tip about vPike.  It works!   I'm going to use it to work on walking tours in Paris.  Yes ..... it is both fun and easy to use!

Author: jjb65

Traveler Since: 2008

July 29, 2013

Thanks, excellent information from everyone.  I also looked at vPike.  It is nice, but I see nothing there that is not available on Google Maps.  I used Google Maps to check out the streets of Florence and even some exhibits inside the museum.  Either way it is the same pictures and fun to use.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.