Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: norbertsniece

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2013

July 27, 2013

Hi everyone,

I will be on the Cote d'Azur - Paris cruise next week (embarking 2nd August) and will be recording my adventure on-line. If you have any questions with regards to any aspect of the holiday please do pop them here. I will post the link, which will be on Cruise Critic, here, once I've arrived in Nice on the 1st.

Linda

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

July 28, 2013

Please let us know your opinion of the optionals .....are they worth the extra cost?  Also, please post the daily dinner menu and what you think of the food.  Thanks!

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

July 28, 2013

Norbertsneice, 

I have done a few blog/trip reports, with varying results. Sometimes technical obstacles stand in your way, such as time availability and quality of internet access. Only in one case did I try to do it live. That was on GCTs other French cruise, The Seine: Paris to Normandy. I found that, when I had time, the internet performance was not alway there, and, when the internet was great, I didn'r always have time.  I ended up doing what I could and ended up filling in the gaps after returning home. In fact, the first 2 blogs I did wer totally after the fact. What a great way to relive the trip. One, to China, was several years after the trip, rebuilding it from a text only trip report and from my many photos. We did Heart of India in February of this year, and I have yet to complete this blog. I had all of the best intentions, starting the blog, when we decided to take the trip and including our research and links in the blog, but, although I had my laptop with  me, I managed to do very little on the trip, either due to lack of time or lack of internet access

. I am currently on vacation on a lake, with no technology, phones, TV, etc available, except internet of all things. So I brought my notes and accumulated handouts and brochures from the trip, along with my pictures and videos from the trip to try to write it. Although I regularly visit Cruise Critic, I am not familiar with its tools for blogs. I first tried a tool from TripAdvisor and was not satisied with its ease of use, so I redid it with Google's Blogger, which I found far from perfect, but much easier to use, particularly in inserting links, photos and videos. My major complaint is the lack of availability of an offline tool so that you can work on it while you can't be online, such as on long bus or plane trips.

I am looking forward to your blog, for a couple of reasons. One, I want to see how the Cruise Critic tools work for you and two, we are interested in taking this trip. It is on our list. Remember, however, not to let the blog  detract from your enjoyment of the trip. Enjoy the trip first and worry about the blog later, just try to capture information that you want to get in the blog. Although it was not my intention, my blogs have generated many referrals under the Vacation Ambassodar program, giving me many credits and1 free trip, with another one coming after the people travel.

Author: avalarue

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

July 28, 2013

We were on the Chardonnay last year and never had any trouble with internet. It was always available in our room.

Having been to Paris two years before, the only optional we took was the Giverny tour. It was wonderful, even though it was the second time for us. The other optional we did, which we did on our own, was to the Pont du Gard on our afternoon at Avignon. It had been removed from GCT's list of optionals and our PD arranged for us and four others to go with a smaller company. Absolutely worth our time and we saved money going that way.

Have a wonderful time. This was by far our favorite river cruise. I hope it isn't raining when you get to Lyon! We were so disappointed to have to miss that city.

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

July 29, 2013

Thank you Norbertsneice for your post. It has actually got me restarted  on  my India blog. The internet is painfully slow here, on the lake, but it is fairly reliable. To download 3 videos of under an hour total is projected to take 2 1/2 hours, but I have nothing but time. While the video is downloading, I can be working on the text. I can also experiment with creating a blog with my tablet, as I intend to leave the bulky laptop at home, for our next trip, to Costa Rica, with OAT.

I'm looking forward to following your blog. as we might want to take that trip in the fall.

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13

July 29, 2013

Jack, what tablet did you purchase? Husband wants to buy one for my birthday but I cannot narrow it down.  Sorry, did not know if you get email. ;-)

Countries Visited:

July 29, 2013

Florence, 

I got the Google Nexus 7, about a month before the new Nexus 7 came out. The new Nexus 7  is supposed to have a higher definition screen, and it has a 5MP rear facing camera, as well  as the 1.2MP front facing camera. I bought this Android tablet, instear of an Apple, because I am a looong time Windows user and thought that it would be easier to adapt to. I love it so far, and can do most of what I can do on the laptop. I want to get a bluetooth keyboard for it, so that I can type easier than with the on screen keyboard. With case they are in the 20 dollar range. I chose the 7" instaed of the 10", because, although I have big hand, I would find it difficult to grip the 10". I picked the Google because of CNET.com review. There are so many free apps available that it is amazing, and the paid apps are relatively cheap, under $5.00, but documentation is lacking, free or charge. I would get the larger 32GB model, so that you have plenty of room to store, apps, books, etc. My lower res version, and it is still plenety high res makes a great e-reader, and you can take either Nook type or Kindle type books from most libraries for free, Of cource, you can also buy books. 

What do you intend to use it for?

I wanted to get it before vacation so that I had time to play with it, but now I wish I had waited, not knowing the new one was coming out so soon and the price difference is not much.

Jack

July 29, 2013

Jack, I want to surf the internet, receive emails, and perhaps a GPS of the countries in Europe we are cruising  when we are out on our own.. (thinking Great Rivers of Europe cruise.)  I have a Kindle for my books and did not take to the Kindle Fire which he returned.   Two ladies on the Seine cruise had an iPad and a Samsung. They took their pics as well.

Countries Visited:

July 29, 2013

The GPS apps are great, as you don't even have to buy maps. Of cource you need w-fi or 3G/4G. to get the map, and wi-fi availablity varies widely.  When we did the Seine cruise, I brought my auto GPS just to get the GPS coordinates of the docks to go to Google Earth with, so that I could pinpoint the docks. Google Eaert and Google map are free apps.

Author: shatzi

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

July 29, 2013

Do not forget to look into data charges before you leave!  It does mount up! There are places on  your explorations with free wifi and it is usually displayed in the window. It is best to turn data off  until you need it.

July 29, 2013

This newbie does not even know what data charges are! :D:D:D:D:D:D

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.