Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

July 25, 2013

I didn't know quite where this post should go but I thought it might be of interest to some. In 2011 I let my credit union talk me into taking out an American Express Travel Card before my trip to Sicily and Malta. I really tried to use it, but it was rejected by nearly all merchants in both countries. So I had very few charges to the account and I have not used it at all for the past two years. Recently I received a check for $8.37 as my portion of a settlement made by AMEX in a class action suit over foreign transaction fees. If you were not already a party to the suit it's probably too late now, but I thought this might be of interest.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 25, 2013

I posted about this recently on the OAT forum.  I had to dig out the old postings from a couple of years ago.  It all goes back to that class action suit regarding over-charges on foreign transactions.  The tax law was changed in the meantime, so you may receive something to that effect next April.  Although your amount is so small, it may not count.  I was one of the few who went to the trouble of filling out the "long form" so what I received then and now seems to be larger than anyone else.

Author: mary jayne halli...

GCT Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

July 25, 2013

I got  exactly what Capt. Larry got and I CASHED it!!!

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

July 25, 2013

Halfpint, somebody on another forum jogged my faulty memory. The amount of the check was actually only $8.23. That will still almost get me two Starbucks' coffees.

Author: franniepat

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Costa Rica, Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Mexico, Alaska, Canada, Western US parks.

Traveler Since: 2008

July 25, 2013

I got that amount too and only AMEX card I have is one I use only for Costco-so figure!

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

July 26, 2013

I don't even have an AMEX card, haven't for many years.  Whatever card(s) you used during the period covered by the class action suit, including your ATM card, comes under this.  It was all so long ago, and most people didn't fill out the long form, that nearly everyone has forgotten.

Author: oldbog

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 1

July 26, 2013

Funnily enough we each got a check for $8.26....ours was for a VISA card and we too had to dig deep in our memory bank to figure out what it was for!  

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.