Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: noseycat

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2007

July 17, 2013

I've just returned June 2013 from this GCCT trip (see my online review) and read three items that directly pertained to the trip.  Anyone considering this trip might find these helpful, since their subject matter, especially the first two, probably will be heavily discussed by the Program Director.  (At least ours, the fantastic J.J., discussed them and provided the Panamanian viewpoint!)

1. Earle, Peter. The sack of Panama: Captain Morgan and the battle for the Caribbean. New York: Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, 2007.

This is a great book about Morgan, Panama (and Colombia), and the Spanish-English politics of the period.  We actually stood on many of the places that Morgan and his men attacked!

2. http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/Just%20Cause/JustCause.pdf

This is the official U.S. Army account of Operation Just Cause, the U.S. incursion into Panama to capture Manuel Noriega.  It was interesting to hear both sides of the issue, especially since we saw many of the places described in the brochure.

3. Garcia Marquez, Gabriel. Love in the time of cholera. (Spanish, 1985; English translation by Edith Grossman.) New York: Knopf, 1988

This book is historical fiction (with a long-term love story interwoven) set in Cartagena, Colombia in the late 1800's-early 1900's, with some inclusion of Panama.  Easy to read in the fine English translation, and probably beautifully written in the original Spanish.  It gives a good view of Cartagena--much of the city hasn't changed in the last 400 years.

Enjoy the trip - great experience!

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2001

July 18, 2013

A question and a comment ...... how hot was Cartagena in June?  I'm thinking of travelling in May, 2014 and wondered about the weather there.

"Love in the Time of Cholera" ...... a wonderful movie starring the delicious Javier Bardem.  NetFlix it!

July 18, 2013

Bright and sunny most days, with only a little rain once or twice.  We found it fairly warm and fairly humid, but not excessively so (but, since I grew up in Florida, it seemed pleasant to me!)  We wore LL Bean's tropic-wear (long pants and long shirts) most of the time to avoid sun and possible mosquitos (never seen), but sometimes zipped off the legs and rolled up the sleeves in the city itself.  The year-round average daytime temperature (according to online sites) seems to be about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, with nighttime in the high 70's - not much variation.  I don't remember many temperature complaints among the ten or folks on our post-trip.

I think that you'll thoroughly enjoy Cartagena.  And be prepared to buy some nice emeralds!

Movie sounds great - I'll have to look for it!

July 18, 2013

Got the DVD on reserve at my local library.  Thanks for the tip!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.