Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: marciatony

Traveler Since: 2010

July 15, 2013

Has anyone taken this optional tour?  My husband has a problem with claustrophobia, especially when spaces are small.  Are there any tight fitting spaces on this tour?

Author: pegheeter1

Traveler Since: 2001

July 15, 2013

We've taken this optional - not once, but twice - as we took the Best of Eastern Europe trip two times, ten years apart.  Both times we felt it was worth it and we saw somewhat different areas and rooms the second time.  I too am seriously claustrophobic, but it's hard to imagine anyone would suffer on this tour.  The rooms are similar in size to what you might see in a hotel - of course the hallways are perhaps less roomy, but the salt mines are hard to imagine as real unless you see them.

Additionally it's nice to have a trip a few miles outside Krakow and see the countryside.  Plus, both times we had a really nice meal following the tour before returning to the hotel. 

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

July 15, 2013

I agree with pegheeter 1. I have claustrophobia badly also, and being in the mines was not a problem for me. The only thing that bothered me a little bit was the small little elevators that they put us in (crowded) for a very short time (20-30 seconds?) to get us to the level where we started our tour. Just close your eyes, and think of something else during this time!!

Author: lyn

Traveler Since: 2004

July 15, 2013

The Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour was the absolute highlight of our trip extension to Poland after our Elbe River Cruise.  Yes, the elevator trip is a bit tight, but as other posters have said it moves very quickly to the bottom of the shaft and then up again when the tour is over.  You are accompanied by an experienced tour guide the whole time and the sights that you will see are so amazing!!  I am slightly claustrophobic and I was not bothered at all when touring the mines.  Just think happy thoughts when in the elevator.  I hope that you can talk hubby into going on this tour and if not I hope that you will consider going solo with the rest of the group.  Happy travels...

Author: wattsed

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

July 15, 2013

This is something you have to see to believe...google wieliczka salt mines and there is a link, Images of Wieliczka Salt Mines, which will give you some idea of what you will see...Unlike Richard and N&P, I am not very well organized(lazy also comes to mind) so I can not direct  you to a link of my own pictures!!...Anyway, if you are anywhere close, it is something you do not want to miss!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.