Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kchurch13

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2000

July 14, 2013

Traveling Sept-Oct timeframe: 

(1) Planning to treat  some outfits with permethrin.  Are we likely to encounter mosquitoes?  Most likely where?

(2) Understand not to drink unpasteurized milk.  Will the breakfast buffets have cereal?  Will there be milk we can safely drink?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

July 15, 2013

We did the trip in April 2007, and it was wonderful trip. Looking at the climatic data, April and October would approximate each other, September being much warmer. Overall, we found the temperatures fairly warm, but you have to remember that the trip covers latittudes ranging from New England to Cuba, giving a very wide range. Actually, even October is warmer than April. We don't remember any mosquitos, so, if there were any, they weren't significant to us,

Breakfasts were typical of hotel buffet breakfasts the world around except that there were addtional asian choices. We don't remember ceral, but assume it was there. I wouldn't worry about the milk. GCT/OAT makes sure that any place that they feed you meets US ssantitary standards. sometimes going as far as bringing their own cook to the kitchen.

We did a blog/tripreport that you can read by clicking here. We would be glad to try to answer any questions, but we would have to reread the blog to refresh our memories. 

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

July 15, 2013

Since I usually just have cereal and milk for breakfast, I know the ship I was on had both...the milk was not a concern to me because I felt that American standards are utilized on the ships catering to American, Canadian, etc. clients...I could not tell any difference between what I had there and what I have at home...

Author: newlad56

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, Malta, Belize, Mexico, Bahamas, the Dutch ABC islands, St Maarten, Canada, China (with GCT in 2009), Croatia/Slovenia in May 2012 (GCT).

Traveler Since: 2009

July 16, 2013

I took the China trip in 2009.  There were no issues with milk served at meals or in restaurants we visited; but I actually don't recall having milk at lunch or dinner by anyone in the group. It was available at breakfast and was fine.  I suppose you could get it at lunch and dinner.  Ask your tour guide about it.  At our lunch and dinners everywhere in China, water (bottled; drink only bottled water.) and soft drinks are included with the meal.  In China, beer is considered a soft drink, so you may have beer with lunch and dinner.  Try it, you will get to taste all the local beers at the various stops you make.  We found the local beer in Guilan to be the best in China.  Wish I could remember the name of the beer.

I don't recall any issues with mosquitoes, either.

Relax.  Enjoy your trip.

Author: pamvaughan11

Countries Visited:

China twice, Japan, SE Asia, England and Ireland multiple times, other European countries, Guatemala twice, East Africa.

Traveler Since: 2012

July 19, 2013

In regards to mosquitoes, they are tough in China. On the Yangtze (Chiang Jiang) cruise, my roommate got bit a lot. Those mosquitoes bit right through Jungle Juice which is almost 100% DEET. I generally don't get bit by mosquitoes for some reason. Anyway, I went to a local pharmacy and asked for mosquito repellant. We couldn't read the label, but it couldn't have been more toxic than DEET! She never got bit again with the local remedy. In regards to milk, the Chinese are very food safety conscious- like they don't eat salads because it's not cooked, etc. the food is cooked at high temperatures, etc. In the tourist hotels, the milk should be safe. I've been to China twice for 5-6 week visits, and the only time someone got sick on either visit was on bottled water bought off the street that was unsealed. Big mistake.

Author: kchurch13

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2000

July 19, 2013

Thanking everyone for the advice so far!

Would really like to hear more from "pamvaughan11" about what time of year they travelled and whether or not they'd taken anti-malarial meds or taken the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine.  Our travel clinic did not advise either measure - just mosquito avoidance.  I am a mosquito-magnet - at least here at home.

Author: ddalexa

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2003

August 07, 2013

Took this trip in April and the Yunnan pre-trip in Sept 2012 (further south in China than this trip).   Did not have mosquitoes either time and left Deet product in the luggage. 

Did not take malaria tablets along (have done so for some trips).   Had a fabulous trip both times (PS inside buildings during tours in can be cold and often workers wear jackets while working.)  Relax and enjoy it.

Author: ed watts

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

August 07, 2013

Two of the three times I have been in China, one of which was a cruise on the Yangtze, was in September.  Before I left home I did not even think about mosquitoes and did not have any repellant; however, on none of the trips did I encounter the first mosquito. That, of course, does not mean that they are not there...

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.