Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

August 25, 2013

re, the last post from Luisa.  But, maybe the little boy had to pay the person he works for, and got a very small pittance to help his poor Mom raise her many kids.  This is all too often the case. 

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

August 25, 2013

You may be correct but a small pittance out of $2 is much more than a small pittance out of 50 cents!   While the making of a deal is fun, I feel some people take it much too far...I believe the little kid's Mom may need the little extra food much more than I need a buck or two difference my skillful  negotiating ability!

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

August 26, 2013

What Ed said. If you go to Morocco or Egypt, negotiate on a rug or good jewelry or other large purchase, not with kids trying to sell low-priced items.

Author: mmarni52

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

September 12, 2013

as a single, I have seen and heard so much discrimination against single travelers. Grand Circle/OAT  was a god send for me as I wanted to travel when I retired 2 years ago and found no one in my single circle of friends wanted or could because of work or money issues that I ended up not going anywhere.  I am a "newbe" traveler since I found Grand Circle and thank goodness. my first trip last year to eastern Europe was wonderful. However, a man, stated and complained singles make the trips more expensive and there are so many more optional tours to make up the money grand circle is losing because of me!!!!! I was insulted, embarrassed and angry. we are adults, no one is forcing anyone to travel with a particular company.  I leave for china next month and am looking forward to going and meeting the people on the trip.  by the way, as far as cruising, well that is another sore topic. I love to go on cruises but don't because no ship cuts a deal with singles.  

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

September 12, 2013

I have done two trips as a single: OAT'S Affordable Peru, and Grand Circle's Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. I don't really feel as if I am forcing couples to pay more. They should consider themselves lucky that they have a person to travel with (however, I have some friends whose husbands don't want to travel, but don't want their wives doing it either without them.......that's a story for another day). Anyway, I don't always have a friend who will or can spend the money (or even wants to go on a particular trip), so I decided in 2010 when I went to Peru that I could either stay home and "feel sorry for myself" or I could just sign up and go, as a single. It has been fine. Even great. I really like having a room to myself. And I am signed up with OAT as a single for the Tanzania Safari Serengeti in May 2014 and am looking forward to it. Please don't blame us singles for your price "maybe" being higher. Just be glad that you have a "built-in" willing traveling partner! And realize, that someday, you may find yourself in our shoes.............

Author: tpreminger

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 1999

September 13, 2013

I really don't understand all the furor over couples supplementing singles.  They DON'T.

A room at a hotel costs the same whether one or two people are staying in it. Plus, OAT/GCL negotiates discounts far below published prices.

Usually, single cabins on the cruises DO have a supplement.

Then let's not foget the extras like the bar bill. One single gent on my last cruise has a bar bill in excess of $300.  Then there are the optional excursions.  Often priced way over what a traveler will pay doing the extra sighting on their own.  

I assure you  OAT/GCT has run the numbers every which way and they're not losing money or charging couples more.  

However, the Good Will generated because the company is Solo friendly is worth millions.

I will be taking my 5th SOLO OAT/GCT adventure later in the year.

Author: ray.

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2002

September 13, 2013

I think all trips should be priced based on as singles as you only occupy a seat, eat meals for one, admittion to facilities with one ticket etc. Then for those who want to share a room, offer them a slight discount for the room. More discount for tripple like they're doing now.

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10

September 13, 2013

I know. I said I would not post any more on this thread. But I have to say that what Ray is suggesting is my interpretation of what is happening now. The only difference is that they call it a "single supplement" rather than a "double discount".

Author: ray.

Trips Taken: 12

September 13, 2013

A discount always sounds better than a surcharge and also nobody will compalin they are subsidizing others.

Author: auntiecon

Trips Taken: 3

September 23, 2013

Good Heavens!  I am about to embark on my first solo trip with GCT.  Until now I had my husband as my companion, and it never occurred to me that there could be any ugliness over this topic!  I am just happy and grateful to GCT & OAT that they don't see the solo traveler as just $$$$.  

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

September 23, 2013

I think that this is a tempest in a teapot. In 14 trips (11 with GCT and 3 with OAT), traveling as a couple, with 1 of them with a solo woman friend, we have never seen any problems with descrimination or segregation of solo travelers, The only thing that we have seen affecting the family type group dynamic is when there is a large group of friends traveling together that tends to exclude others whether they are couples or solos. On our most recent trip, Heart of India, we had 4 husban/wife pairs, 2 mother/daughter pairs, 2 female cousins traveling together and 2 solo women. Other than for sleeping accomodations, everyone mixed for all other activities.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 23, 2013

Aunticon.  Don't let the complaints of a very few people discourage you.  I have traveled both with a friend and solo, and when it was solo I never felt any resentment from anyone traveling with a companion or spouse.  On the contrary; people always made me feel welcome and invited me to join them.  You'll have a wonderful time.

Pauline

Author: kba

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

September 24, 2013

Auntiecon:

I travel solo and have just booked my 6th trip.  It is wonderful and I have had no problems at all.  Everyone is friendly and you can socialize or head off on your own, whatever feels right for you.  Enjoy your trip. 

Author: auntiecon

Trips Taken: 3

September 24, 2013

Thanks for your encouragement; I am just a bit nervous, but I expect to enjoy myself to the hilt!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.