Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gwen.e

Countries Visited:

US, Canada, all over Europe, South Pacific, North Africa, Canaries, Israel, Turkey, small foray into Russia, Scandinavia (including trip to polar ice), Eastern Europe, just about everywhere except Far East -- not especially interested in most of Asia. Favorite places -- UK, New Zealand, Bavaria, Pacific islands.

Traveler Since: 2001

June 29, 2013

I'm taking the Antarctic trip in Feb. 2014, doing both pre-trip to Bariloche and post-trip to Iguassu Falls. For both trips and for Ushuaia, what kind of footwear do previous travelers recommend? Sandals, sneakers? I don't want to bring hiking boots due to the weight. Suggestions? 

Author: mertziek

Traveler Since: 2010

June 30, 2013

I have been to Bariloche and good walking shoes like Keen's will work or sturdy tennis shoes.  I used both.  No need for hiking boots there.  I believe they give us boots for Antarctica to wear for shore excursions so do not think you need hiking boots for that.  A good friend of mine did the Falls and similar shoes worked as in Bariloche.  When in Feb 2014 are you going?  I am booked on the trip for Feb 2-16 as a single and not doing pre or post tours.

Countries Visited:

US, Canada, all over Europe, South Pacific, North Africa, Canaries, Israel, Turkey, small foray into Russia, Scandinavia (including trip to polar ice), Eastern Europe, just about everywhere except Far East -- not especially interested in most of Asia. Favorite places -- UK, New Zealand, Bavaria, Pacific islands.

June 30, 2013

I'm also going Feb. 2, also as a single. I've signed up for the "find travel companion" service. When I booked (recently) the extensions were mandatory! This is a bucket list trip -- my final two continents! I'm 68, and don't know how much longer I can do trips with lots of walking (and getting in and out of the dinghies), so I figured I'd better go now. Hubby says not for him.

Thanks for the shoe advice. I'll bring sandals and sneakers.

June 30, 2013

My hubby also staying home.  Not his thing to do.  I was booked to do the trip Feb 2013 but had to cancel so looking forward to this one.  When I figure out how to send you an email, will do to try to get to know each other a bit before the trip.  Always nice to have another single along so we can take pics of each other and someone to share meals with although the couples with GCT are always very welcoming.

Countries Visited:

June 30, 2013

Are you on Facebook?

Countries Visited:

June 30, 2013

Or go to Travel Companions and do a search for GwenE.

June 30, 2013

Found you on travel companions but cannot figure out how to send email.  So I set up a profile with name Mertziek, tried to send one to you and just get my profile back.  Duh!  So  maybe you can email me via travel companions.  I usually am more adept at this but must be missing a step.

June 30, 2013

Also on FB but use my real name and not interested in posting in the general conversations if I can help it.

Countries Visited:

July 01, 2013

Your profile isn't coming up. How did you find mine? You might add this trip to your travel planner -- it seems to match people with similar trips. I wish there were a way to just ask for people taking our trip!

Countries Visited:

July 01, 2013

Add this trip to your travel planner. Maybe it will match us up in travel companions.

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

July 01, 2013

I tried but was not able to find Mertziek in Travel Companions. When setting up a profile, be sure you have checked both boxes below the Self Description box. It is not necessary to have any trips in the Travel Planner in order to locate a person. To send a message, click Send a Message link which appears on her or his profile page. Then compose and send your message. The message will be stored in your GCT Inbox and GCT will send an email message to the recipient of your message.

I have successfully used it and will try to answer any further questions you have.  

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

July 01, 2013

Hello Gwenjer & Mertziek -

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with our Travel Companions messaging feature.  I will be looking into it.

In the meantime, if you both email me directly at gctforummoderator@gct.com, I can put you in touch with each other privately.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCCL/GCT Forum Moderator

July 01, 2013

Edited my profile and saved it.  Can anyone find me now?

July 01, 2013

Thank you Michelle but we are in the process of trying to work this out.  If continued problems figure it is me and not the site.  :)

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

July 01, 2013

Mertziek, I'm happy to tell you that I was able to find your profile. It might me helpful to others if you could explain what you did to fix it.

July 02, 2013

Went in to my account and clicked on edit profile, I think, and then made sure I had checked all questions and saved changes.

Author: changsuh@lslink....

Traveler Since: 2013

September 01, 2013

Hi Gwen. My husband and I are going on the Antarctica trip, leaving Miami on February 20th, and ending with the post trip to Iguassu Falls. Is this the trip you're taking? We thought it would be nice to meet someone else who's going on our cruise. This is our first trip with Grand Circle and aren't sure of exactly what to expect. We can be contacted by email at changsuh@lslink.com.

Thanks,

Phyllis and Jim

Author: dorisblake

Traveler Since: 2005

September 07, 2013

It's a great trip and you will enjoy.  Did this trip last December.  Footwear.  Boots for zodiac may want to buy some liners slip in kind.  I only wore ragg wool socks over the smart wool socks and feet were plenty warm.  Extension.  Good tennis shoes with padded socks and Tevas with good support.  Eat some chocolate in Bariloche.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.