Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

June 21, 2013

Hello Everybody -

We continue to monitor the unprecedented high water levels in Central Europe along the Rhine, Main, Danube, and Elbe rivers—including the impact they are having on this region and the Grand Circle vacations scheduled to depart in the coming weeks. Please be assured that our Boston headquarters is in constant communication with our regional offices in Central Europe, keeping your comfort and safety at the forefront.

As we keep a close eye on this developing situation, we will be making decisions based on the latest information we receive from our regional offices. At present, we plan to operate all European River Cruises departing 6/21 and later—but please note that this is subject to change based on developments in this region.

The June European River Cruise departures scheduled to operate include:

• The Great Rivers of Europe: 6/22 departures
  • Eastern Europe to the Black Sea: President's River Cruise: 6/24 departure
  • Romance of the Rhine & Mosel: 6/21 departure
  • Essence of the Elbe: Berlin to Prague: 6/22 and 6/29 departures
  • Old World Prague & the Blue Danube: 6/25 departures

We are continuing to update our website regularly—please check back here for the latest information, and contact our World Events Line by calling us toll-free at 1-800-866-6568 if you have immediate questions about your departure.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCCL/GCT Forum Moderator

Author: jmoskow

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2010

June 24, 2013

Grand Circle deliberately deceived those of us on the 6/22 Essence of Elba cruise. Several of us contacted Boston numerous times before leaving for the cruise and were assured by Boston that everything was on schedule and "no changes would be made to the itinerary."  When we arrived in Prague we found out the ship has not moved since June 6 and we would basically be getting a bus tour. 

If you are scheduled on an Elbe cruise be forewarned Do Not Rely On Boston. tour directors are being placed in an impossible situation trying to make passengers happy. 

Bottom line:  Tour directors great Grand Circle Boston Sucks!,

Author: travelann

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2010

June 24, 2013

I hope you are all getting a refund ! Or at least something towards a future trip. I would have go e ballistic if they promised a boat and I got a bus !

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

June 24, 2013

This screw-up makes one wonder how many other cruises are in the same boat which is actually a bus. :-(

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

June 25, 2013

Hello JMoskow -

Thank you for posting your comments.  We are having somebody from Boston reach out to you about the high water issue.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2005

June 26, 2013

Just sayin.... I don't have a "dog in this fight"; however, everyone that books a GCT river cruise should be aware of (what you basically agreed to in) GCT's Terms & Conditions:

For River Cruise and Small Ship Passengers:

If the Vessel is not able to complete the scheduled itinerary due to low water, high water, mechanical breakdown, or other reason, Carrier reserves the right to modify the itinerary, which right shall include the use of hotels and motor coaches where necessary."

When someone calls the GCT's (Boston) service department, the GCT representative should have all the latest information, and provide an upfront and truthful response.  I would hope that is always the case.

Being a pessimist here, I can see a potential senario here where someone calls GCT's (Boston) service department and asks about their river cruise's status with respect to a possible water level problem. The GCT service department representative may not have the current information and/or may have been instructed to just say "everything is fine and on schedule" even if it is not because they do not want the person to cancel their booking. Needless to say, once they get to to Europe it is too late for them to cancel and GCT is with their legal rights (see above GCT Terms & Conditions) to substitute hotels and motor coaches for the river boat due to the water conditions, etc..  

Author: halfpint

Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

June 26, 2013

Just a few comments here as to what might or might not occur with the present high water.  This past year 2012 I was on the Great Rivers trip in August and we did have tgo abort the ship in Passau I believe it was two days early, bus to Vienna where we spent the last two nights because of at that time, too low water.  Then in December had to leave the ship on the Christmas on the Rhine, late december because of very visible high water, also leaving the ship two days early.  Of course it does change the dynamics of the trip, much less togetherness than on the ship, both for the bus travel and particularily the meals as I am an elderly lady and enjoy the togetherness of the river cruises (otherwise why would I keep repeating them)?.  However in both cases, Grand Circle I did feel did the very best they could with both situations (both low river and then high river waters) with added features and then a small rebate after arriving home.  Of course we all would rather not have any changes, however it HAPPENS.  However I would admit that if I knew a day or so ahead, I might consider cancelling and that no doubt is their logic.  However think of the ships, their crew, the help in every part of the trip, it inconveniences everyone.  Just wanted to make a few points.  However I too, wish they would fess up if they truely know ahead.  In our both cases, the situations arose while on the trip.  Have a good day!!!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.