Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kiki

Traveler Since: 2005

June 18, 2013

On the Australia, New Zealand trip, any suggestions and recommendations for charging cameras, ipads, kindles, etc.? (plug adapters, power strips?)

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 19, 2013

You will need plug adaptors, but you can find out online which one(s) to get.

I haven't been there since 2005, and in that short period of time so much has changed.  We didn't have i-pads or kindles or need power strips.  I'm sure that most places you stay at will have hair dryers somewhere, either in the bathroom or tucked away in a desk drawer or something like that.  And I think there's a special outlet in the bathroom for electric shavers.

From the description, you'll be staying mostly at Rydges hotels.  They're a major chain in that part of the world.  I have stayed at some, but not the ones on the list. 

Author: nanaandpapa

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

June 19, 2013

At your first Rydges hotel, register for their frequent traveler club at check in and you'll get perks, such as a free cocktail and discounted dinners at subsequent hotels. I don't remeber the plug configuration, but bring either a small power strip or a short extension cord with multple outlets, so that you can plug in multiple dual voltage devices, such as battery chargers. Remember that all you have done is change the plug, not the voltage, so don't plug in ant 110 only devices with using a transformer.

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

June 19, 2013

This plug from Amazon CLICK HERE seems to fill the bill. It is not the one I used which was part of a kit of adapters that I haves added to over the years, but I generally pefer a 3 prong over a 2 prong. I also use THIS extension cord. It is compact with 4 three prong outlets and a blue indicatior/night light. Many battery chargers that plug directly into the wallor to the plug adapter are heavy and tend to pull the plug from the wall or are aukward to plug into some outlets. That is why I prefer to use the cord.

Countries Visited:

June 19, 2013

Actually, I just noticed that this cord has 3 outlets. The one I have has 4. There are apparently 2 different versions of the cord.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.