Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: tickleddpink

June 17, 2013

I know this is an off the wall kind of question, but are the pillows down or foam on the River Concerto (or similar). I know they have duvets, which I love, but am curious since I prefer down pillows and sleep better with them. But if I don't have to pack a pillow, there's a lot more room for goodies from the Christmas Markets!

I'm on the River Concerto going Amsterdam to Basel on 11/27, with pre-trip in Brussels/Bruges and post-trip in Basel, as well as 4 days on my own in Amsterdam. 

Thank you,

Jane

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

June 17, 2013

I haven't been on the river cruises since 2011, but previously was on 3 others on the Rhine and Danube, Mosel, too.  I don't recall ever having down pillows with GCt.  There were 1 foam each bed and 1 feather or polyester.  Not good at all. So unless they re-outfitted with new bedding, and I hope they did since I'll be on the Bizet this year, you probably won't get down.  I did see in a travel accessory ad for a smaller travel pillow, not sure it was memory foam or down.  Worth a try to search.

Author: gaynell

Traveler Since: 2005

June 18, 2013

You're going in winter.  Why not take a down jacket, and stuff it in a pillowcase at night?

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 18, 2013

Off the top of my head  -  I doubt they'd have down pillows.  Just think of the number of people with allergies.

Author: tickleddpink

June 18, 2013

Thanks for all your input and ideas! I appreciate it. I don't own a down jacket since I live in Southern California and rarely (really never) need one.... Hmmmm, miight come in more handy than I thought! One of my older pillows smushes down well and is easy to pack. It's amazing the difference it makes to the quality of sleep for me. 

It feels like such a little thing to worry about, yet getting a good night's sleep is very important to me when I travel and having just one soft pillow with foam pillows, makes all the difference.

After my OAT trip to Egypt/Jordan in 2009, I went to the King Tut exhibition in San Francisco and left my pillow in a motel in Monterey and then struggled with the hard foam pillows at my friends house. Luckily, the motel had the pillow and mailed it back to me.

Jane

Author: nurse

Traveler Since: 2006

August 11, 2013

You might just need a down coat for walking tours as it gets quite cold especially for a Calif girl -We took the Great Rivers of Europe tour beginning in Nov 16th ending Dec 2nd and almost all had either Down coats on or full length wool!!!!!!Then you could use the down coat for your pillow!!!!And the day we flew out of Amsterdam it snowed! PS never have had a down pillow on any cruise I have taken.

Author: avalarue

Traveler Since: 2008

October 03, 2013

We were on the River Rhapsody in June and the pillows provided were very large and firm. I asked the housekeeping staff if they could find a smaller, softer pillow for me and there was one on my bed after dinner that very night. So, if you don't ask, you'll never know if they have what you need. I know they will go out of their way to accommodate your request.

By the way, I also took a travel size down pillow, just in case. Only $10 at Bed, Bath and Beyond!

Author: tickledpink

Countries Visited:

Rhine & Danube Christmas markets cruises, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, UK, Ireland, most of Western Europe, Scandinavia, Leningrad no-visa cruise from Helsinki in '78, Hawaii, Alaska, NYC, Florida, Arizona & Utah national parks, Sedona and North Dakota.

Traveler Since: 1995

October 04, 2013

Well, I found a great down parka on sale at Land's End, but the metal buttons through a pillow case feel weird. Avalarue, thanks for the tip to ask for a smaller/softer pillow on the ship! I'm looking forward to this trip and am counting the days at this point until I fly to Amsterdam. I'm still undecided on packing my smallest down pillow. It compresses well and can give some padding to goodies from the Christmas markets!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.