Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: lynns

Traveler Since: 2009

June 05, 2013

I would love to connect with any other GCT travelers who are booked for this trip. I also have some questions for anyone who has taken this trip recently, or at a similar time last year.

Are the baggage restrictions stated in our documents (44 lb. checked, 11 lb. carryon) actually enforced? Packing for 21 days with less than 44 lbs. is a definite challenge. Also, need advice on clothes to pack, i.e. shoes, capris vs. long pants, raingear, bathing suits, dress up for evening, snacks, medication and anything else you might think of that would be helpful. Advice on exchanging money would also be appreciated. If you would like to get in touch one-on-one email lsullivan43@yahoo.com.

Thanks! Lynn

Author: mmarni52

Traveler Since: 2012

June 05, 2013

I am taking the same trip oct. 8th.  in answer to your question, which I hope will help.  it depends on the airlines.  I am scheduled to fly to and from with united and I called and they said very clearly it is 50 lbs  and check two bags and a carryon no larger than 22"  I will fly up to san fransisco from la and because I am going international I don't pay for the second check bag. call the airlines.  when you return would love to hear about your experience.

marlene

Author: rogerdawhip

Countries Visited:

OAT trips taken: Egypt, China, Ireland, Guatemala, Thailand, Peru and Adriatic Cruise. Nine GCT river cruises: Great Rivers(3 times), Rhine& Mosel (2 times), Eastern Europe to the Black Sea, Rhone River, Holland & Belgium. Other: Russian river cruise twice.

Traveler Since: 2001

June 06, 2013

The 44 lb checked and 11 lb carry-on applies to the intra-China flights, not your international flight.  When I traveled to China we had  a group check-in and so the individual checked bags were not weighed but this could have changed.  The carry-on limit was hit and miss.  A few times they checked our carryons with only a few problem travelers who had two large very heavy carry-on bags.  The travelers caused us problems throughout the trip expecting others to help them with their very large carryons.

My advice .... for checked baggage.take 44 lb or less and do laundry and use a small light backpack for your carryon instead of the heavy wheeled ones.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.