Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: rwhansen

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

June 05, 2013

We are currently in Paris on the Cruising Burgundy & Provence to the Cote d'Azur tour.  This is a "heads up" to inform you that our ATM cards would not work at the airport to withdraw money as they did not have an embedded chip.

In planning for our trip, I requested credit cards with embedded chips, and fortunately have been able to withdraw cash against them, but not against two ATM cards.  Today, while in Paris, I found an ATM that would accept my Wells Fargo ATM card. 

However, if you are planning a trip to Europe, I encourage you to check with your credit card and ATM card companies and request cards with an embedded chips.  Not all companies in the US are issuing them but they are commonly used in Europe.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

June 05, 2013

Thank you so much for this information.  We will be in France in a few months and welcome this info. 

We will check with our bank and see what we can do.  In using the credit cards with the chip, did you have a hefty fee for getting funds from an ATM with them?   I know some banks charge for that. 

You said you used a Wells Fargo card at an ATM later on.  Was this a bank ATM card or credit card. We use that bank too, so are wondering.

Thanks for the info.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

June 05, 2013

When we were in Paris a year ago, we had problems with the ATM just outside of customs. I'm not sure which bank it was affiliated with, but, during the rest of the trip we had no problems with any other ATMs. Our Mastercard debit card had  no chip. We also did not have to pay any fees that were not reimbursed by our bank. This policy varies by bank and account type. In over 15 years of international  travel, we have never paid a fee or had a problem getting cash, except in Zimbabwe when the internatioanl banking community blocked them. Sometimes we had a problem with a specific machine, but we always  could find one that worked, without any major inconvenience. This may be changing, but we have not seen it. Make sure that your bank knows where and when you are going, so that they don't mistake the transacaction as fraudulent and block them..

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 05, 2013

I was at my bank today (Bank of America) to get Euros.  And the woman I dealt with asked me if I knew which banks were associated with BofA for getting money.  I hadn't checked into that yet, but she gave me a list of banks in other countries that I could get cash from without that service charge.  She didn't say anything about needing a chip.

I know we had no problems in Israel in November, except during Shabbat when some of the ATMs are locked down.  And in Ireland in 2011 and Russia in 2010, everything worked fine.  With the exception of one ATM in Dublin that insisted I had already taken out my limit for the day, when I hadn't used an ATM for more than a week.

When I tell my bank that I'll be out of the country, where and when, I'll ask about that.

Author: porkchop55

Countries Visited:

Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

June 06, 2013

We took the England, Scotland and Wales trip this past April and I only ran into one ATM that was chip only.  It was at Heathrow Airport next to the baggage claim.  Once we passed through customs and were in the main terminal I found another ATM and it work with my megnetic strip card.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.