Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: nanaandpapa

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

June 02, 2013

I have seen many horror stories on cruisecritic.com about flooding on mutilple European Rivers, and how other cruise operators are handling it. How is it impacting the Grand Circle cruises, and how well/poorly is GCT handling it?

Here are a couple of htreads on it 

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855333

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1853137

Author: franniepat

Countries Visited:

Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Costa Rica, Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Mexico, Alaska, Canada, Western US parks.

Traveler Since: 2008

June 02, 2013

I saw on FB that an Avalon Danube cruise leaving today was canceled. What a bummer!

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

June 03, 2013

I just returned 3 days ago from the Old World Prague and Blue Danube trip, and we were in some of these affected areas.  I am so sad that this is happening there now, and selfishly glad that it didn't happen while I was there. I feel certain that Grand Circle will monitor the situation and handle it appropriately. I don't know why anyone would assume that they would handle it badly??????????

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

June 03, 2013

Nancy, you are indeed fortunate. A couple of friends arrived in Prague on Friday and have been drenched by rain every day. Yesterday, they said that the Charles Bridge, train stations and some subway stations were closed. Barriers are being erected along the river to limit the flooding in areas but there have already been some evacuations.

Author: avalarue

June 03, 2013

We are scheduled for Great Rivers of Europe on June 18th. I guess it's "watch and wait." I'll be checking the website daily to see what's happening.

Author: jjb65

Countries Visited:

Albania, Australia, Austria, , Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Montenegro, Panama, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Turkey, Vietnam, Wales.

June 03, 2013

We are leaving tomorrow for the Great Rivers tour starting in Amsterdam.  Our tour guide called yesterday from Cologne and said the weather there was fine and he expected no weather problems on our trip. 

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

June 03, 2013

Fortunately both of my European river cruises on GCCL were unaffected by water level, either high or low. In July 2006 on the Great Rivers of Europe cruise the temperatures were at a near record high, but there was plenty of water. In May 2010 on the Romance of the Rhine and Mosel we encountered rainy conditions and cool to cold temperatures. The rivers were a bit high but the cruise was not affected. So I don't know how GCT might handle cancellations or modifications.

But, on our 2010 cruise, our return flights were affected by the Iceland volcano and the ash it was spewing into the air, and by a threatened strike by British Air flight crews. Many of us had return flights from Zurich to London Heathrow, connecting to a flight to the USA. The day before our scheduled flights the Program Directors were in continual contact with GCT in Boston getting hourly updates on the flight situations. The volcano situation was getting better, but the strike threat was still a problem. The night before our homeward flights GCT cancelled all of our BA flights and rebooked us all on Lufthansa. In our case we went Zurich to Frankfort, connecting to Washington Dulles. I was pleased by the way GCT handled the situation. Were I, as an individual flyer, to seek the kind of changes made by GCT, I would be charged a change fee and a fare differential. GCT either used their leverage with the airlines to have the change fees waived, or they ate them. Either way, it was a good deal for the travelers.

How does that relate to river flooding and its impact on river cruises? Only as an example of how, on one occasion, GCT handled a potential emergency that was beyond the control of either GCT or the individual traveler.

Author: avalarue

June 03, 2013

jjb65,

If at all possible, would you post the current situation once you are cruising? The messages coming forth are mixed, to say the least.

Thanks.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

June 03, 2013

GCT does have alternatives.  Way back in 2006 or so, we were scheduled for the Eastern Europe to the Black Sea and a few days before leaving for the flight we were called and were told that there was problems on the Danube and we'd be bussed to Constanta from Budapest.  That was a bummer, and unfortunatly we couldn't take the alternative bus because I was in pain management for neck problems and a 900+ mile bus would have been pretty bad for me.  Luckily we had not started putting stuff in the suitcases.  We just rescheduled the trip, didn't want the refund.  So, yes, GCT has alternatives in place. 

Author: jjb65

Countries Visited:

Albania, Australia, Austria, , Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Montenegro, Panama, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Turkey, Vietnam, Wales.

June 03, 2013

Well, we are looking into alternatives now.  Just received a call advising the June 4 trip has been cancelled.

Author: oatadmin

Trips Taken: 0

June 04, 2013
Hello Everybody -

We have been closely monitoring the high water levels in Central Europe along the Rhine, Main, Danube, and Elbe rivers.  Based on that communication with our staff on the ground in Central Europe, we have decided to cancel several June GCCL departures.

The departure dates below refer to the main River Cruise itineraries—the pre- and post-trip extensions for these main trip departures have also been cancelled.

·    The Great Rivers of Europe: 6/4 and 6/8 departures
·    Essence of the Elbe: Berlin to Prague: 6/8 departure

We are in the process of contacting via telephone all travelers affected by these cancellations and appreciate your understanding as we contact everyone.

As of now, we are planning to operate the following  June European River Cruise departures:

·    Grand European Cruise: 6/7 departure
·    Eastern Europe to the Black Sea: 6/7, 6/9, and 6/15 departures
·    Romance of the Rhine & Mosel: 6/7 departure
·    Essence of the Elbe: Berlin to Prague: 6/15 departure
·    Old World Prague & the Blue Danube: 6/20 departure

At present, we plan to operate all European River Cruises departing 6/15 and later without deviation—but please note that this is subject to change based on developments in this region. 

As we continue to monitor this situation, we will be updating our homepage, www.gct.com, regularly.  If you have immediate questions, please contact our World Events Line by calling us toll-free at 1-800-866-6568

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.