Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

June 01, 2013

I have just posted my review of "Spain's Cultural Capitals".  I enjoyed it so much!  Please read my review if you are contemplating this trip or are searching for an alternative to a river boat vacation. 

"Busy all the time" or "relaxed, let's have a glass of wine in a cafe" .....  it's your choice. 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 01, 2013

I just read your review, and the trip looks great!  Did you travel solo on this one?  I noted that the optional you didn't take was one that another reviewer felt was not worth it.  I've been to Madrid and Barcelona, but not Valencia.  And I've never visited either Segovia or Toledo.  Someone else wrote that they'd taken the Bilbao pre-trip extension and enjoyed it very much.  Not only the Guggenheim, but other sites.

I think I'll add this to my travel planner. 

My last visit to Spain was the Classic Costa del Sol, and I've always wanted to go back.

June 01, 2013

I did indeed travel solo ...... no problem ..... everyone was very friendly, both couples and singles.  Going out to meals alone, which bothers some folks, didn't happen to me.  The included meals were very generous and when by myself I'd just get a sandwich or empanada.  More than enough!  and then there was that delicious ice cream. 

I would have loved to go to Bilbao, but time didn't permit.  Those that did go thought it was great.

I didn't go on the "Manises/Lake Albufera" optional because I wanted to spend more time in Valencia seeing the cathedral and the ceramics museum (Google it ..... it's small but fun .... in an old mansion), and enjoying the cathedral square.   Everyone who did go on the optional seemed to like it very much. 

An interesting note:  more than half our group were Inner Circle and one lady had taken more than twenty trips with OAT/GCT. 

Tipping:  many of us tipped in American dollars.  Before I left I stocked up on $5.00 and $10.00.  Euros, of course, would have been better, but nearly every day required several tips and it was hard to get the necessary denominations. 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 02, 2013

Well, I've put it in my Travel Planner.  And at the top of the list!  There are several other trips on my list, but they're becoming less appealing as I reconsider them.

I note that they don't do this in the hottest summer months.  Which is understandable.  I was there many years ago in May (1979) and then again on the Classic Costa del Sol in January of 2000.  May was very comfortable for walking outside in the cities where we were  -  Madrid, Granada, Barcelona.  And hot on Majorca.  The Costa del Sol was coolish in January, not swimming weather.  And it did rain one day when we visited Cordoba.

June 02, 2013

I traveled May 13 through May 27 ..... and it was very cold.  Quite a bit of rain,  and it hailed one day!  I would recommend late May or early June ..... or wait until September.  I live in Southern California, which has a Mediterranean climate, so I was aware of how changeable the weather can be this time of year.  I took a warm hoodie and was okay, but many of our group found themselves buying additional clothing.  Not a problem, with all the stores near our hotel.  Still ..... it's something to think about.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.