Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: braverman

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

May 05, 2013

Help us to really enjoy and get the most out of 3-week  trip to Ireland! We are taking the pretrip to Northern Ireland and the post trip to Dublin as well as all the optional trips!

My wife and I are taking our first land based package tour and we are doing it with GCT to Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.  Here-to-for for over 40 years we have been independent travelers that visited well over 50 countries on both business and more recently for pleasure now that I am retired.

We also will be celebration our 55th wedding aniversery with this "trip of a lifetime"  as It is at the top of my wifes "Bucket List" as she has never been there and I was last there over 25 years ago on business.

Please share with us your recommendations and advice.

Bob B

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

May 05, 2013

I think you're in for a good trip.

My first suggestion is to use the Search box in the upper right corner just over your post and enter Ireland. You'll find several recent posts that will answer some of your questions.

My second suggestion is to consider deleting your e-mail address to avoid loss of privacy and/or getting e-mails you don't want. 

Have a great trip, it would be interesting to read your impressions of the changes since your last visit. I hope you'll post when you return.

Author: walshcs

Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Guatemala, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), , and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. It was very exciting that OAT brought back the trip to Japan. I had the trip of a lifetime including the pre-trip to Tokyo in Nov. 2013 and even did the Maiko make-over in Kyoto. My friends at home couldn't believe the "20 year old" in the photos of a Geisha were really me. Thank you professional photographer & photo shop! :) The next trip booked for Sept. 2014 is the Best of Eastern Europe (land trip version) and I'm looking forward to history & culture in that region. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

May 09, 2013

Hello Bob B & Spouse,

May your travel dreams of Ireland be all you hope for and then some..I loved this trip and offer just a few of my favorites from my independent free-time explorations:

In Killarney if you would enjoy a view of a romantic Castle setting...take a jaunting car (read horse-drawn cart) ride to Ross Castle thru the National Park. Guided tours of the castle are available, however, just the view of it with the lake and swans is pretty special. The jaunting car rides are about $10.00 per person so if you are interested, maybe some of your fellow travelers would like to share the cart with you and split the cost.

Another suggestion for independent activities in Killarney is to take a tour of Muckross House and Gardens in the national park. The PD or hotel should be able to help with tour times and cost questions.

In Galway...an authentic tea can be had in a small, charming shop across the street from the Spanish Arch called Cupan Tae. Which of the large assortment of home-made cakes to go with your pot of tea is a delicious decision. I lingered after the guided walk with our PD and had my tea before returning to the hotel.

Don't miss the optional trip to Connamara for a taste of beautiful, wild rural Ireland with thatched cottages and a feeling for how life must have been in Ireland's past.

For some lunches on your own...the pubs have hearty soups and bread that are cheap, good, and filling.

While in Dublin a visit to the National Museum...for the archaeology, decorative arts, and history of Ireland thru its artifacts...Celtic, Viking, etc.. is worth your time.

What ever you choose...enjoy the Emerald Isle!

cate

Author: braverman

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

May 23, 2013

Hi:  

Thanks for all of the great advice!  we will plan to do them all.

Thanks again

Have a great day1

Bob

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.