Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: avalarue

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

May 03, 2013

We are going on the Great Rivers cruise this summer. It will be our first time in Germany and wonder if it's a good time to look for a cuckoo clock. If so, where is the best place to look?

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

May 03, 2013

The Black Forest area is the most popular place to buy them but you won't be near there. I suggest you put "where in Germany to buy cuckoo clock" and look at some of the results.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

May 03, 2013

Heidelburg might be the best location on your itinierary. It's the closest that you will be to the Black Forest.

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

May 03, 2013

Although not shopping for a coo coo clock, I saw plenty of them in shops at stops around the Heidleberg area...The reason I was not any longer interested in such a clock was that I bought one when I was stationed in Germany in the military--it was a pretty large one and quite loud when it did its coo cooing...it worked pretty well for several years but one middle of the night it decided it really wanted to go coo coo and did it 63 straight times...if it would have had feathers, they would have been all over the house!! 

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

May 04, 2013

I do not recall, nor do I have record in my journal, seeing or even hearing about coo-coo clocks during the Great Rivers cruise. On the Rhine and Mosel cruise, while the ship was in Strasbourg, there was a demonstration and display of coo-coo clocks on board the ship. But then Strasbourg, although technically in France, is the most convenient stop to the Black Forest, and the spot from which the Baden-Baden optional tour begins.

Author: shatzi

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

May 04, 2013

If I remember correctly, there was a Coo Coo Clock shop in Rothenburg.  This shop also had products authentically made in Germany and not in other countries. I hope this is helpful.

Author: avalarue

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2008

May 11, 2013

Thanks. I'll be on the lookout in Rothenburg and Heidelburg. If I find one, great. If not, well, there's always another time, another river to cross!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.