Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: piercove

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2003

July 24, 2013

A few years ago, we went to the top of Mont St.Michel with our 14-month-old granddaughter.  It took four grandparents, plus the mother and father, taking turns carrying the youngster up the hill.  But at the cloister of the monastery at the very top, she rewarded us by taking a few steps on her own, nearly the first time.  A better memory than yours, Pauline!

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

July 24, 2013

Pauline,

That's a shame. The local guide that we had was wonderful taking rest stops along the way and giving a talk about what we were seeing and would see at these stops. She stopped once in a chapel and again in the cemetary, before the point of no return and gave those that thought it would be too strenuous a chance to go back down with the PD. My wife Ann was bound and determied that shou would make it to the top, and she did. Just to see Mont St Michel was a thrill in itself. Did you get a chance to enjoy St-Malo? 

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

July 24, 2013

We had a young lady who actually lived in one of the apts at Mont St. Michel.  She did the same thing as Jack's guide. Stopped in St Michael's Church, we walked up and up, stopped for some more history, stopped at some more landings, and finally reached the top.  One of my dreams come true.  Loved it. Loved it.  We took Mont St Michel as a Pre ext. and probably was the best decision for us.  We were still energetic and determined.  The lunch in the restaurant with seats facing the Mont was always to be cherished experience.  As far as I know. our whole group made it up and back.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

July 24, 2013

Jack, I thought I remembered you posting that your guide had helped out.  But this one was really not the same type.  It wasn't just me.  Everyone complained that she was just trying to get the tour done in the shortest amount of time.

I did manage the tour of St. Malo and the corsairs house.  And the optional to Dinan, although there again I parked myself in a square at a table under an umbrella with a bottle of water and watched the crowds.  Some of the group came back and joined me after a while.  That other little town (name escapes me, but it begins with an S) was delightful.  Most people walked down with Peter (local guide), but some stayed in the bus down to the beach.

I love seafood, especially oysters and mussels, so the meals were a real delight.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

July 24, 2013

Pauline, I'm sorry the cobblestone got in your way and caused you to miss some activities but happy that you weren't seriously injured. And it's fortunate that you were not walking somewhere alone when it happened. In recent years, I have worried about this happening to me and thought a cane would help but apparently not. From reading your posts, it seems you enjoyed most of the trip and came home with many good memories. Having a positive attitude, as you do, really does make the bad stuff more tolerable.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.