Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: sugarplum7

Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All over USA, Mexico, Carribbean, Hawaii, Canada, So. Korea, Thailand, Europe

Traveler Since: 2013

April 20, 2013

I am a first time traveler  with GCT and am wondering about some of the extra tours. Right now I am leaning towards the "Treasures of Tuscany", "Siena" and "Renon Mountain tour and Farmhouse dinner." What about Genoa and Innsbruck?

I was just wondering if my time would be better spent doing other things or are all the tours worth doing?

Author: sarahshea

Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

I lived in England and Australia many years ago and it put the travel bug within me that I treasure! I have also been to Holland and Ireland and many places here in the USA. I finally visited New York twice in 2007 and still long to go back there...what a fun city! My husband and I are going to Italy this October together for 2 weeks and then I will stay an additional 2 weeks for my GCT tour to the Amalfi Coast! Anyone want to go along??

Traveler Since: 2009

May 09, 2013

Hi Sugarplum7 and all happy travelers! 

I haven't taken this tour before so don't know for sure which optional tours will be worth it, but after taking two trips with Grand Circle in the past I found them all worth my time.  Getting around on your own is fun too, but with the warmer weather in June and July an air conditioned bus waiting at the front of the hotel is attractive to me!

Are you going on the June 2013 tour?  You wrote in April so you might be or have gone already.  My friend Myra and I are going on this one in June and we are excited it is coming up soon!.  Anyone going on the pre trip?

See you soon!

Sarah

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

May 10, 2013

I haven't taken that particular trip but have traveled in Italy. I went to Siena on my own and would happily go again, so I recommend that optional, but don't know about the others.

Have you read the Traveler Reviews or searched for other posts on this trip? I seem to remember comments about Innsbruck.

Italy is beautiful, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. 

Countries Visited:

May 17, 2013

Sarahshea: Yes I am going on the June 2013 trip and I am going on the pretrip. Thanks for your reply. Maybe we are on the same trip! 
Thanks also for the feedback on the trips. I live in Florida and the Florida heat and humidity can get you down, so air conditioned buses sound pretty good.

Countries Visited:

May 17, 2013

Luisa: I have read other posts but not many on that subject. Where do I find the travelers reviews on tours? Thanks for your feedback.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

May 17, 2013

Sugarplum,

You go on the description of the trip and click on the Travelers Reviews tab. For this trip, here is the link:  http://www.gct.com/Trips/2013/Italy-Tuscany-the-Alps-and-the-Riviera-2013/Traveler-Community/Traveler-Reviews.aspx?icid=tripheader#tripNav..

Countries Visited:

May 18, 2013

Thank you so much for the information., NanaandPapa

Countries Visited:

I lived in England and Australia many years ago and it put the travel bug within me that I treasure! I have also been to Holland and Ireland and many places here in the USA. I finally visited New York twice in 2007 and still long to go back there...what a fun city! My husband and I are going to Italy this October together for 2 weeks and then I will stay an additional 2 weeks for my GCT tour to the Amalfi Coast! Anyone want to go along??

May 19, 2013

Sugarplum:  Sounds like we are on the same tour.  Should be fun!   Myra and I will be coming from San Diego and so not used to high heat or humidity, but we'll put up with it to be in Italy!  And perhaps the heat will not be as bad as I am fearing.    

I am wondering what clothes to bring for the Dolmites part of the trip...cooler weather but how cool to expect?  Has anyone reading posts for this trip been in June before?

Thanks to all for the posts!

Ciao!  Sarah

Countries Visited:

May 23, 2013

I'm wondering the same thing. You know when you live in Florida a few years, you think 75 degrees is "Chilly". With limited space in my luggage, I only want to take what I really need.I have one fairly heavy sweater, is that enough?

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

May 23, 2013

For the mountains: Is your sweater cotton or wool? If it's wool, you'll probably be fine and can layer if you feel cold. A lightweight hooded rain jacket or one with a zip-out lining will help too.

I live in Florida too and am always bundled up on trips to cooler climates. I have learned that layering a camisole, a cotton shirt and a cashmere cardigan is often enough during the day and add a jacket at night or early morning. I bring a couple of scarves for my neck, even cotton helps keep my neck warm.

This may sound like overkill, but I blithely went to Ireland one May with a raincoat and a cotton sweater and froze. The first day there I had to go out and buy a wool cardigan. 

Your trip is getting close, have a wonderful time.

Countries Visited:

May 23, 2013

Yes, we don't want to bring 3 of everything when just 1 will do, so it is smart to bring the right item that will work well.  I do have a light rain jacket and sounds like layering is the way to go. Thanks for the tips Luisa.

As it gets closer I will watch the weather.  Looking forward to this trip and meeting everyone!!

Sarah

Countries Visited:

May 24, 2013

Thanks Luisa. Your tips are most helpful. The time is close now. Can't wait to meet those of you who are going.  

Ruthann

Countries Visited:

May 27, 2013

Yes, less than a month to go!   I've been reading up about our hotels and where they are located in each city - I am sure some o0f them will be just so-so and others amazing, but hopefully they all will have air conditioning!  If there is time on a free day we are hoping to get to Lucca or the Cinque Terra - for those that have travelled on this tour before, do you know if that is really possible?  Well, I look forward to it all. 

I must think of an appropriate gift for the Home lunch family.  Any ideas on what the Italian families enjoy getting from us as our thanks?

Andiamo!  Sarah

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.