Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: lyn

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2004

April 12, 2013

We are considering a 2014 Great Rivers of Europe cruise.  Could anyone who has done the extension to Bruges comment on how worthwhile it was.  We are looking forward to planning this trip.  We would like to see Bruges so any comments pro and con would be helpful.

Author: casey

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2002

April 12, 2013

I haven't done The Great Rivers of Europe, but on the Rhine and Mosel in 2005 we did the Burges extension and loved it.  I would definitely recommend it if you have not been there.  It is a lovely area and we were able to walk every where in Burges.  I would go again.  Enjoy.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 13, 2013

We did the Bruge extension after Holland & Belgium in the Springtime (in 2004, I think).  We loved it.  As the previous poster mentioned, you could walk pretty much everywhere.  

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

April 13, 2013

We did not do this extension on the Great Rivers, but we did go to Bruges fo 2 days on a driving tour several  years ago. If you have never been there, it is not to be missed. Touring it on our own was great. Touring it with a good guide should be wonderful. It is a great walking around city as well.

April 13, 2013

Thanks to all who posted in answer to my question about Bruges.  We have not been there before and we will be sure to add it as an extension after reading your comments.  We love the old cities that offer great walking pretty much everywhere. 

Author: tomnat

Trips Taken: 18

April 14, 2013

Bruges is probably the best preserved walkable city from the middle ages with great food & chocolates, we have toured. We agree with other folks comments. A must see in our view!!

Our Bruges was a post trip to Holland Springtime cruise, and had different optional tours (WWII Atlantic Wall & WWI Flanders Fields) & included tours (Ghent & Delft which were part of our base Holland cruise) than yours. However, your included tours, Ghent & Delft, are great & the Brussels optional is probably very good & one place we have not toured yet.

This Bruges extension sounds like it is a great complement to your Great Rivers main trip.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 14, 2013

I didn't like Brussels as much as Bruges, but that's probably just because I really love walkable cities.  And the architecture appealed to me more.  But if you have to go to Brussels in order to get to Bruges, it's worth it.

April 14, 2013

Again thanks to everyone for your responses.  Brussels is offered as an "optional" on our extension to Bruges.  We have been to Brussels twice so we will be spending our entire time in Bruges.  We love walkable cities. 

Author: noyb01

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1997

April 17, 2013

Last October 2012, I took the Bruges extension before the Rhine and Mosel river cruise and it was a real highlight of the trip.  Although GCT's hotel option in Bruges was very good and with an excellent location, it would be easy to do on your own and find smaller, more charming, atmospheric, and less expensive places to stay, even spectacular little inns right on the canals.  To see some photos of Bruges on this trip, the first minute and a half of my Rhine Mosel slide show are here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdqIgZrcX_k   (or "flippyvicki" on youtube)  The  pubs in Bruges are quite amazing, some with beer that you can only get in Bruges and it's fun trying several plus there's a local brewery with tours and great views.  One of the hostels has a map of the more unusual sights and things to see and do in Bruges that is recommended.

Author: ginfarris

Trips Taken: 4

May 09, 2013

Bruges is one of my two favorite cities in the world.  Not only can you walk everywhere, but the sights and beauty of this place is wonderful.  There are old buildings, and houses, an exciting market of vegetables and flowers, quaint buggy rides, rivers and bridges, and a host of fascinating stories.  I would love to take a trip just to Bruges.

Author: stugant

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2007

June 24, 2013

We are 7-time GCT travelers, went to Bruges as a pre-trip to Holland and Begium in Spring of 2012. Bruges is one of our favorite cities, small, walkable, good art, very scenic with its canals and flowers, lots of good restaurants. It can apparently be very crowded in the summer, but was pleasantly uncrowded in April. We had a good hotel in the very center of Old Town. If you go, do not miss the Bassilica of the Holy Blood, and the medieval Town Hall. There is also a small Michaelangelo staue in the Cathedral. This extension was one of the highlights of our trip.

Gail Gant

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.