Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kba

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

March 26, 2013

I will be travelling in early April and I am so looking forward to Strasbourg.  Does anyone recall where the boat docks in Strasbourg?  Is it complicated to take the tram in and out of the city? It sounds like Baden Baden is a bus ride and a short stop so I am actually thinking about skipping it and spending more time in Strasbourg. 

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

March 26, 2013

We took this cruise about same time as you are in 2006 or 2007.  We docked just a few blocks from the city, easy to walk right into the town, near the cathedral (you can see an animated clock in this church).  Beautiful exterior and interior.  We were there Easer Monday or within a few days, not certain; there were lots of candy stores selling their Easter chocolate half price or less--all hand made.  Also sweater shops selling half price.  I don't know about the tram since we were so close to walking it wasn't an issue.  It was a beautiful two days, rather hot for April and sunny.

Author: kba

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

March 30, 2013

Thank you Singsling....that is a big help.  Strasbourg sounds like a delightful city.

Author: oklawes

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

June 01, 2013

We took this trip in mid March of this year.  Our guide was outstanding.  This was our 2nd River Cruise with GC.  The 1st was Ok but this one was unsatisfactory.  On a 1-10 basis I would rate it a 2 with 10 being the best.  We we were very unhappy with the dinner menu.  Blood sausage was featured one evening.  Whenever we ordered fish or sea food it was very dry and chewy. When i go on a river cruise I  look forward to the food and there is a problem when the buffet breakfast is better than any dinner.  Trust me when I say that the hotdogs, hamburgers and french frys were the best choice most of the time.

Our Captain was not friendly.  Whenever we would pass him he would look the other way.  He sat at his table mostly by himself.  

My advice would be to not take the optional castle tour because it is very hard walking.  I did not get to see anything the guide discussed because I was helping a couple of other guests try to keep from falling. One lady fell on her face and broke her glasses and no one from the cruise line tried to help her.  My wife had a band-aid and stopped the bleeding. The non-optional castle trip was excellent and very informative.  

There was very little entertainment after dinner.  This trip was not worth the price.  They seemed to "cut back" on everything they did.  We have traveled on other river cruises and this one was by far our worse.   

Author: oatadmin

Trips Taken: 0

June 03, 2013

Hello Oklawes -

We are sorry to hear about your experience on our Romance of the Rhine & Mosel river cruise. Somebody will be following up with you offline.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

Author: kristenc

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2012

June 07, 2013

My experience on the Rhine Mosel trip in July of 2012 was the exact opposit of the previous poster as regards the captain. He couldn't have been more friendly. He smiled and chatted with everyone, greeted us as we left many mornings and was often at the gangplank to welcome us back each day. It must depend on the ship and the particular staff for that departure. The food was okay, could have been better and could have been much worse. The food presentation was outstanding; the choices, flavors, and geographical relevance ("execution") could have been improved. But for the price I felt it was fine and the service in the dining room was exemplary. Our program directors would never have left an injured guest unattended.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.