Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: richinct

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2013

March 18, 2013

Because of unexpected surgery we have had to postpone our trip from April to Oct 3rd and I would like to mention that GCT has been fantastic in making the change.  So instead of looking at around 50 days until the trip, we are back at the 200 area.  There is a lot to be said about planning being half the fun of a trip.  Enough said.  What would be great for us, would be for those of you who go on this trip over the next few months to let us know how things went, what you liked and if by chance someone is on our trip, let us know.  Have a wonderful time.

•   SRINCT

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

March 18, 2013

Although it is several years old (2007), we did a blog type trip report on this trip. I'm sure that there have been some changes to the itinerary, but I think that this report is still valid. Our Western education is woefully poor on Eastern history, so use your time to study Chinese history. We just got back from Heart of India With OAT and did much reading and watching of videos, both non-fiction and fiction. It increased our appreciation of the trip, and we wish we did more. The trip report is http://jackthetravelingman-china.blogspot.com. This was a wonderful trip.

Author: ed watts

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

March 18, 2013

Thanks for the pictures Jack...my wife and I were on the last cruise boat that went up the Yangtze before they closed the gates on the Three Gorges Dam... A number of the cities and towns were still being demolished and  all the relocation housing had not been completed...Although we have been back to China a couple times since, we have not been back on the river but have always wondered how it has changed---your pictures give us some idea of the difference  which we appreciate...Thanks for sharing them! 

Author: tvlbum

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2007

June 04, 2013

Just found this GCT Forums - wanted to see if I could post.

We did this trip last September and it was wonderful.  Loved every minute of it, we did the post trip to Bangkok.  Would do it all again - just hope you get Allen for your tour guide.  The BEST!

June 05, 2013

Thanks so much for posting.   Did you have any problems with smog when you went.  Am hoping the time of year will be a benefit since so much publicity this year was during the winter months.

Author: tvlbum

GCT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2007

June 05, 2013

No, fortunately we did not.  A lady from our group had purchased face mask for all of us but none of us ever needed it.  A month or so after our return there was an article in the Dallas Morning News regarding how bad the smog was in China and they were advising people not to go outside.  I can understand it - wall to wall people and wall to wall cars everywhere.  We did see a very few people wearing mask but we were there a little over a month and you could probably count them on both hands.  No one in our group ever had any problems with breathing. 

I think the river gorge must be completed as we saw very little construction and visited some replaced folks.  Amazing!  The food was wonderful and plentiful.  We were told to take snacks with us to supplement the food they served but we never needed it.  There was always something for everyone to choose from.  We loved the restaurants we visited.  Only a few things I decided not to try.

Author: mmarni52

GCT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2012

June 25, 2013

fyi  if you are going on the oct. 3, 2013 china trip keep in mind that whole week is their national holiday,  major place may be closed to visit or overly crowded. that is why I booked for oct. 8th  instead. I spoke with grand circle before booking and they made light of the situation, however, I didn't expect any other response from them. some friends went to china a couple years ago during that time and they were upset.  

June 25, 2013

Since this is a three week trip, hopefully, that problem will be over right away.  I would only be upset if important places are closed.  We have traveled a bit and have been in ports when four ships arrived in the same time.  It was nt great, but doable.  If a GCT forum monitor is reading this, it would be to your advantage to reply to this and let us know what we might miss in Beijing at the beginning of our trip. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.