Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kgustaf

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

March 18, 2013

During our upcoming visit, I understand we'll be doing a tour of the opera house.  Has anyone actually attended a performance?  I checked and the Sydney Symphony will be doing a concert while we are in Sydney.  Depending on our schedule, I'd like to go.  Should we purchase tickets in advance (we leave Apr. 26th)?  Or wait until we get to Sydney?

Thanks!

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

March 18, 2013

I did OAT's Ultimate Australia back in 2007 (and things could be different now). 

FWIW, I remember the OAT guide offering to assist in the purchase of opera tickets for anyone who wanted to see the performance. That way the OAT people got to sit together. In addition, Sydney wasn't until (something like) the 14th day so there was time to the get tickets. Back in 2007 a tour of the opera house was included; however, there was no performance during the tour. The guide also arranged to buy tickets (for those who wanted to do it) to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge. 

Author: oldbog

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1999

March 19, 2013

We did this trip with GCT in 2010.  The opera house tour is excellent. The PD helped one person obtain tickets for a concert.  You could probably get tickets ahead...just make sure there is no conflict with a tour event that you might not  want to miss.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

March 19, 2013

I was surprised to discover the Opera House roof is covered with several thousand tiles; and they aren't even all the same color. Close up you can see they are an off white and tan.

Author: jimspires

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2007

April 26, 2013

We take groups thru Australia in RVs and have attended a performance in the Opera House several times. The biggest treat is if you can get a performance in the Main Concert Hall. You can book ahead online and print out your receipt but you will need to go to the Box Office to pick up your actual tickets. You will probably pass by the Box Office during your Opera House Tour or just go a little early to get them. 

Sydney is a BEAUTIFUL city made even more so by the view of the Bridge and the sails of the Opera House. Another great option is to Climb the Bridge. The do it 24 hours a day and it takes about 5 hours total unless you do the express climb.

Author: csc

December 24, 2013

gobuckeyes - Thanks for posting the picture.  I too was surpised by the details and colors of the Opera House, once you get up close!

Author: redqueen

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2009

December 24, 2013

I attended La Boheme on my OAT trip in 2011.  I booked my ticket well in advance to ensure a good seat -- easy on the Internet.  Our PD would have helped others in our group to tickets, but nobody else was interested.  The opera was the same day as our included tour so the group simply left me at the opera house and I had a nice, affordable supper at the Mozart Bistro before the preformance.  It was my second-best experience on a trip full of highlights.

Later, another single confided to me that she would have liked to attend but she was afraid she'd spend the whole time worrying how she'd get back to the hotel.  Don't let this happet to you!  It was a quick and easy taxi ride. 

Author: trombone

Trips Taken: 14
Traveler Since: 2001

December 25, 2013

Australia/New Zealand/Fiji  was our first GCT trip in 2001. It was an outstanding adventure! We attended a concert at the Opera House and had gotten the tickets on-line before leaving the USA. Tickets were available at the venue as well. We did the Bridge Climb, at the last minute, and have never regretted that decision! Our PD helped us rearrange our schedule so that we could do the climb and even made arrangements for us to dine at a later time at the restaurant since our meal was an included dinner. 

If your PD contacts you before your trip, you may want to tell him/her about your concert plans and ask for their opinion. We wanted to attend a concert in Dublin and our PD told us what the exact schedule for that particular day would be before we ordered our tickets. We also were willing to forego an included dinner so that we could attend "My Fair Lady", sung in Estonian, in Tallin...a great evening! We have found that our PD's have been willing to go above and beyond to help us experience "real life" in the country that we are visiting, especially if you have a particular interest in something like music, art, etc. 

I just gave my wife the Pandora charm of the Sydney Opera House for Christmas for her travel bracelet so the memories linger.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.