Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 09, 2013

In this Sunday's New York Times Travel section, which I get online Saturdays, there's an article about cruising solo.  And they mention small ship river cruises as best for the solo traveler.  And Grand Circle Cruiseline, in particular. 

Somehow, the thought of traveling solo on one of those immense ships really turns me off.  The one time I did it to Alaska from Vancouver was right after a professional conference in Seattle, and there turned out to be a lot of people I knew who had the same idea.  So I wasn't really alone.

It was a very interesting article to read after my own experiences with GCT river cruises.

Author: sealionlady

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2001

February 09, 2013

Thanks for informing us of this article .... I've just read it and it was so interesting.  I noticed there seemed to be two categories of single travelers ..... those who want to "buddy up" and those who want to savor the experience alone.  I laughed at the comment "at the end of a long day I don't want to have to make small talk with a stranger".

I prefer to travel with my partner, David, but when he can't go, traveling solo with GCT/OAT works for me.  Or, to quote from a letter in the New York Times, "Traveling alone in a group, for me, has been the best of all worlds". 

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

February 09, 2013

Yes.  When you travel with someone congenial, you can look at a sight and turn to them and say "isn't that wonderful?"  When I travel solo, I turn to perfect strangers and say "isn't that wonderful?"

I traveled for years with someone I was introduced to by mutual friends who thought we'd get along well.  And we did and traveled together for  -  not even ten years, but several times a year, and visited back and forth.  We did eight trips with GCT, three with other companies, and went to Australia and New Zealand four times on our own.

She's gone now and I don't want to be matched to eliminate the single supplement.  I've seen some really terrible results.  I have the same reaction that woman had.  At the end of the day, I want to go to my own room/cabin and close the door.

Countries Visited:

February 09, 2013

Actually, I think it's prometheus AKA centaur AKA mamaandpapa.  (not to be confused with Nanaandpapa)

Michelle has informed me that if the letters are not exactly the same, the system will not pick up on it.  So if anything nasty seems to be coming from me, please verify the poster.  Thanks.

Pauline

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

February 09, 2013

Pauline...

I actually did a "double take"  when I saw that posting, supposedly, from you...I saw the big blank gray box above your name & wondered what was going on...until I read your clarifying post.  I didn't think it sounded like you!

hootie

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

February 09, 2013

re"pauiine":

If you are interested in reading about this joker, he has a website at xxxxxxxxxx.com which he publized in a previous post. Perhaps, you will find some clues there about the couple who will provide free space for you in their large suite in exchange for assistance during their upcoming cruise.

Update: This post was written in response to a post by "pauiine" who wrote "One thing the article did not mention is that the price of a cabin or suite is usually based on two person occupancy.   A third person is not charged an equivalent price.   For example, on Celebrity and NCL (I know for sure) the third person only pays about $650 for the average 11-day cruise.    By offering assistance to a couple in a large suite you might even enjoy their space for free should they be in need of partial care for an Alzheimer's or similar condition.    Check out Cruise Critic for an ideal website to get information on all cruises and post your willingness to assist." His post was later deleted.

Author: luisa

OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 10, 2013

I feel the same way that Sea Lion Lady and the real Pauline (with the "l") do. It's nice to be with the group during the day but I savor having time for myself. I, too, have seen some bad matches on trips, a couple of which were people who had been friends for years but had not traveled together.

I 'm not interested enough in the joker to check out his/her postings.

Countries Visited:

February 10, 2013

Janice_

I have reported his last post as abuse, since he seems to be threatening you.  The sooner we can get rid of his nasty messages, the better for the rest of us.  We don't need this kind of interaction on a forum that's based on polite information give and take.

Pauline (the real one)

Countries Visited:

March 09, 2013

This weekend's New York Times Travel section has another article on cruising solo, with pros and cons.  It mentions a number of cruise lines, including Grand Circle Cruise Line.  Especially, some the new cruises that have no supplement.

Author: shatzi

Traveler Since: 2009

March 09, 2013

I sincerely hope traveling solo does not stop anyone from enjoying what the world has to offer.  I do not travel solo, but have met some fantastic solo travelers who have enhanced my trips.  So many come to mind.  I have found that on the Grand Circle trips pretty much everyone is friendly and welcoming. 

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

March 09, 2013

On a recent promotional flyer from GCT there is a statement that one of three travelers is a solo traveler, so 1/3 of their business is from solos.

I think most of us who travel solo know that we need to book early to get one of the single rooms allotted; they've all been reserved on every trip I've taken. I traveled a couple of times with Road Scholar (Elderhostel) and they had a waiting list for single rooms.

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

March 11, 2013

Re: On a recent promotional flyer from GCT there is a statement that one of three travelers is a solo traveler, so 1/3 of their business is from solos.

Just sayin': I feel that figure might be a little misleading.  My observations have been that the percentage of people traveling by themselves is a lot less than 33.3%. However, it would be 33.3% if you count in (single) people traveling (and rooming) together with different last names, etc.  Regardless "solo travelers" have always been welcome to join in anything that they want participate in. This includes the "on your own" dinners and/or individual discoveries too..

Countries Visited:

March 11, 2013

When I went to Ireland in 2011, there were seven solo travelers in our group.  That is, people not sharing a room.  One was traveling with two cousins, who were sisters and they shared a room.  Another was traveling with a married couple who were friends of hers.  That left five of us "real" solo travelers. 

I used to travel with a friend, and we shared a room.  And I didn't know her before we started traveling together.  We were put together by mutual friends who thought we'd get along, and we did.  But I think that rarely happens.

Now that she's gone, I'd rather travel solo than take a chance with someone that might be congenial to go out to a meal or a concert with but not the same at closer quarters.  I've never felt at a loss or unwanted.  Everyone is always very friendly and welcoming.

Countries Visited:

March 12, 2013

My mistake. I looked at the flyer again and it was OAT, not GCT, but perhaps it does include singles rooming together, some by selecting roommate matching and others friends or relatives who are sharing a room because the single rooms were taken. There were a lot of women either alone or sharing and a couple of men who did roommate sharing on the Crossroads of Turkey trip. 

On our OAT Morocco trip there were four singles and four couples. So, singles were 33%. I think it was about the same on the Egypt trip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.