Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: tburdz8720

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2009

February 02, 2013

In June, we are taking the Dalmatian Coast trip.  On the way back, we will have five and one half hour layover in Paris on the way back to the U.S.  We are exploring the logistics of leaving Charles De Gaulle airport and going to Paris for a couple of hours.  Has anyone tried this and if so, what can we expect going and returning to the airport?  I have investigated how to get there and back.  I just know what issues I may face in doing this little extra excursion. Any advise and experience in this would be welcome.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

February 02, 2013

Hi Tburdz:   I'm sorry I can't give you any advice on what to do outside the CGD airport on your return trip from the Dalmatian Coast trip.  But, I have a request that concerns that trip.  I'm assuming it is the small ship cruise.  We are taking this on a back to back later on in the year and first taking a river cruise Paris to Normandy, then flying to Athens (3 days on our own) picking up the Dalmation Coast cruise.  We are very much interested in how others found this cruise, mostly the weather, I'm sure it wil be hot in June, but wondering if there are high winds because of the sea, or calm balmy weather, etc.  Also any info on the ship, tours, excursions, food, etc..  If you could come back to this blog on your return, or, let us know when your review is posted for this trip, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

February 02, 2013

We have connected through Paris and were in Paris last spring, and I think that 5 1/2 hours is too short a layover to try to get into Paris and back. Just to get back through security would take at least an hour, with a minimum of 1 hour in transit by train in and out of the city, which would put you at the Gare du Nord, not somewhere that you would want to be. Traffic by road would take much longer. Yes, you could say that you had been to Paris, but you would not have enough time to enjoy it, and the stress that you would add to the trip would not be worth it. I would suggest seeing what it would cost you to change your flight arrangements to schedule a layover of a few days in Paris. Paris is not a cheap city, but it is not prohibitively expensive either. When we were there last March we dropped in on a hotel that we had used many years ago. It is a modest 3^ hotel that is very well located in the Marais district, a very short walk to Notre Dame and the Louvre. Our trip was The Seine: Paris to Normandy withe a pre-trip in Paris. Th pre-trip was mostly free time with a  hotel stay on the left bank. It was enjoyable, but, if we ever go back to Paris, we would just get a reasonably priced hotel and do it on our own. The Hotel that we stayed at several years ago was the Paris Rivoli on the Rue de Rivoli. I belive that the current price of the  hotel was about 130 Euros per night and the people there were very friendly. We did a blog/trip report on the trip that gives more details. It is http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com. We would be glad to answer any other questions.

Author: tburdz8720

Trips Taken: 3

February 02, 2013

Thanks nanaandpapa for taking the time to reply. We'll keep your advice in mind. And for singsling, we will also be spending 4 days in advance of this trip in Athens.  We will revisit this post and let you know how it goes.

Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

February 02, 2013

Here is the web site for the Hotel Paris de Rivoli:

http://www.hotel-parisrivoli.com/

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

February 03, 2013

Thanks Tburdz.  I'll look forward to reading your comments.

When I told my husband you wanted to know about spending your time in Paris between flights with 5-1/2 hours.  He said similar to nanaandpapa about what to see in 2 hours or less, since for international flights you have to be there about 3 hours prior to departure.  It's been 51 years since we were in Paris on our own, and traffic was really bad then, but now....They are right, will probably take too long to get back to the airport, let alone going through Security.  And lugging your bags around the airport to locker, etc. if you find one.

We spent more than 8 hours in CGD in 2005 because we missed our flight to Budapest courtesy of bus driver not telling to get off the bus (we don't read or speak French), so we sat until someone came along and they told us we  had to walk to the connecting terminal.  There were NO seats other than a few, and they were taken long before we got to the floor.  We went back and forth end to end, and finally went downstairs to the connection counter area where there were seats.  So lots of luck, and we're looking forward to hearing your comments.  Thanks.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 03, 2013

Singsling,

When are you taking the Paris to Normandy cruise?  I will be going in July, and I'm so looking forward to it.  I've read Jack's blog several times, and that's just whetted my appetite.

Pauline

Author: kba

Trips Taken: 5

February 04, 2013

Pauline:

You will absolutely love the Paris to Normandy cruise....one of the highlights of the trip is the evening cruise through Paris to see the Eiffel Tower.  Be sure to sit on the deck and watch the people dancing on the shore while you wait for the light show to begin. 

Countries Visited:

February 04, 2013

IWe agree that the dinner cruise through Paris was a highlight, but when we went, last April, the sun deck was closed, due to low clearance under the bridges. The Bizet was the only one of the river cruise boats that we saw doing that cruise, as it is lower than most of the others and can clear the bridges. This is when we most enjoyed our port side balconey cabin. 

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 04, 2013

Looking at the deck plans on the Bizet, I'm on the port side also.  July seems a long way off, but the groundhog said it will be an early spring.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

February 05, 2013

Tburdz,

Are you leaving from Zagreb and connecting at CDG? If yes, then you should have your luggage checked through to your final destination and get your boarding pass in Zagreb. If you can do that, it would give you more time in the city, you'd need to allow for security, boarding and the return metro/train to the airport.

However, I think a couple of hours in Paris would make you wish that you had more time, so I agree with Jack, consider doing breakaway and spend two or three days in Paris. The hotel he recommends looks good and it's a good location, near Ile de Cite, and one of my favorites, plus it's near the Seine, great for walks. There are many, good, small, reasonably priced hotels in Paris, but consider the location when you book. It's nice to walk out the door and be within walking distance of some of the finer aspects of the city.

Have a wonderful rtrip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.