Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: tbiddle

Trips Taken: 1

January 31, 2013

Several of us are discussing our upcoming trip on the M/S Rossia from Moscow to St. Pete's and were wondering about the incidental costs, such as laundry service and bar tabs.  Anyone know what the cost for laundry service is?  We are trying to decide what to pack vs washing

Author: judylee

Trips Taken: 15
Traveler Since: 2000

February 01, 2013

We always take enough clothes that can be wash & drip dry.   One thing I do remember the bar was quite high, only reasonable drinks were vodka.  We did the Russia trip a few years ago, all meals were on the ship, restaurants we notices were quite high.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

February 01, 2013

tbiddle:  we took this cruise in 2008, I'm sure not much has changed.  Laundry has been provided on most river ships for some time, and I think (not sure)  it's fill a bag for $20.00 comes back next day or even about time of evening turn down service, pressed mostly, and on hangers if needed.  I usually specify warm or cold water, since we don't want hot water.  We've never been dissatisfied. Like Judylee mentioned doing some laundry herself, we usually wash out our underwear every night and any polyester type knits or something that could be ruined in a washer/dryer, and that can dry easily.  I can say this, on our first river cruise with Grand Circle 2006)  I don't think they did laundry.  I washed a sort of thick ribbed cotton jersey (not really a sweater), and it took 3 days to dry under the arms and cuffs.  I later learned, you can put the heat on while you go to dinner and  hang near the vent, and clothes dry much faster that way.  But, as we traveled, we learned, we now do not take all cotton or heavy cotton sweaters; jerseys are okay if all cotton, they seem to dry faster, but not faster than mixed blend clothes.

As far as drinks, I couldn't tell you, but there is a daily drink at reduced price at the bar.  Wine is provided at meals now, if I read correctly, but before , it was just one glass. 

Hope this helps a little.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 01, 2013

I've never sent out laundry on one of these trips.  Everything I bring can be washed and dried quickly.  If any area seems to be taking longer because it's thicker, you can try to hurry it up with the hair dryer.  I always bring a travel cord, but there seems to be one in the shower every time.

I don't remember the white wine being as bad as some people thought, but I put in an ice cube which probably cut the taste a little.  And I only went to the bar once or twice.  As far as a second glass at dinner is concerned, it realy depended on your wait staff.  The two at the table I usually sat at were very obliging and always brought a second glass upon request.  One night, when a lot of people went to an evening event and there were fewer of us in the dining room, I had to sit at a different table.  And that wait person was completely different.  Charged for a second glass of wine, didn't want to bring us ice cubes, and was not accommodating when someone had a problem with her meal.

I think there was one lunch out in Moscow.  The day we went on the subway and ended up at that pedestrian mall.  I didn't go on the subway, because I'm afraid of down escalators and I met the rest of the group at a McDonald's (!).

All your incidentals on the ship are charged to your cabin with the exception of the gift shop, which is a contract operation.  Prices in the gift shop are comparable to the large gift shops in the cities and the quality is very good.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.