Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: malavasic

Trips Taken: 18
Countries Visited:

Have taken 17 trips so been to many places all over the world.

Traveler Since: 2006

May 28, 2010

Would like information from travelers about use of water in Peru and The Amazon......for drinking, bathing and eating......what precautions were necessary to avoid  "tourista"........any  experiences would be appreciated.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

August 31, 2010

That is an OAT trip. Have you posted your question on the Traveler Discussions there? There are several posts about the trip that give a lot of good information.

www.oattravel.com

Author: brena

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

I travel solo and in a group setting. United States Eastern Europe, Northern Europe, Western Europe, United States, Central America, South America Middle East

September 24, 2010

malavasic,

Have you taken your trip to the Amazon? I am going in Dec 2010 and would appreciate any hints if you have taken your trip?

thanks

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2001

September 24, 2010

I was on the Amazon trip in 2007 and never had a problem.  I ALWAYS carry Immodium, but never had to use it.  When I was  there we were able to bring our own wine on the river boat.  If you enjoy wine, purchase several bottles in Lima before heading off to the Amazon.  The on-board bar ran out early. 

I found that I didn't need the bug spray that I had packed.  We saw many very interesting insects, but never a mosquito.  As for shoes, one pair of sandals and one pair of  Lands End water shoes were perfect. 

The food on-board was wonderful!  How did the kitchen staff do it? 

For a book (a mystery!) that takes place on an Amazon river boat, try "Little Tiny Teeth" by Aaron Elkins. 

Author: dinek

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2004

September 27, 2010

Bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth, too.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

September 27, 2010

I drank only bottled water (for water) and brushed my teeth while using only bottled water....on the Amazon and everywhere else in Peru. I had no problems. But be sure that you drink lots of that bottled water. It is so humid in the Amazon that you sweat a lot, and a lot of water is supposed to help prevent or cure altitude sickness when you go to the higher altitudes of Cuzco and Machu Picchu (also drink the coca tea that is offered!)

Author: blkgtr

Trips Taken: 0

October 12, 2010

Bottled water is your best bet. The only issue is if you are at a place that it is overly expensive or not available. I am a big outdoors person, done some backpacking and hiking, and bought a small personal UV water purifier. I got the Steripen classic a little cheaper than the others, had it for over a year, and cannot help but think that is has saved me drinking what would be considered as bad water.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.