Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: marleneboccato

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2012

January 21, 2013

I would be interested in any suggestions regarding bringing ski poles vs. walkiing sticks for my uncoming trip to Antarctica or any other practical suggestions. Please rspond to marleneboccato@aol.com or the forum.

Thank you

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 22, 2013

I haven't taken the Antarctica trip but my question is whether ski poles are collapsible and could fit in your checked luggage. If they are not, are they allowed on planes?

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 22, 2013

On my Antarctica trip I did not see a single person with ski poles, walking sticks, canes, etc.--Of course, some of the ground is rocky and there is snow but I found that the boots had significant traction that poles/sticks were not necessary if you were careful l or  unless you really have mobility issues which would be a problem anyway...for some, getting in and out of the zodiacs is challenging enough without having to worry with extra things in your hands..I read somewhere that some types of hiking/ski poles are not allowed but I don't remember the specifics and, therefore,would  require some research on your own. I did this trip with another provider since it spent seven full days in Antarctica rather then spend any time at all in Buenos Aires (my wife and I had been in BA several times before and did not want to repeat things we had done more than once before---of course, if you have not been there before it might be a must for you)

Author: buddanddawn

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2008

January 22, 2013

On my trip to Antarctica a few years ago, there were neither sticks or poles, nor the need for either. Although one woman did use her walker. You should have a fantastic trip.   BUDD

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

January 22, 2013

You will need neither ski poles or walking sticks.  The ground is rocky, however, you won't be walking very far and the boots you will borrow from the boat will provide more than enough traction.  We do recommend, however, that you visit a local tackle shop( yes, a tackle shopt ), and purchase a pair of rubber gloves with liners that surf fishermen use.  Those glov es have a split forefinger which can be bent back to permit you to expose your finger to work the shutter of your camera while keeping the rest of your hands warm and dry.  The biggest enemy you will have in Antarctica is water.  The wetter you get, the colder you get.  Everyone on our trip who lacked these gloves and had to remove the whole glove in order to take pictures got wet, and consequently cold.

Author: janice!

Traveler Since: 1999

January 22, 2013

In a recent post on the OAT Travel Forum, a woman said she absolutely needed her pole when on a December trip to Antartica.

Author: svncontinents

Traveler Since: 2007

January 23, 2013

We can't comment on what someone else has said; we can only comment from our experience.  When we viosited Antarctica, the terrain was relatively flat, but rocky.  Aids for walking were unnecessary, as the terrain did not demand such.  Nobody on our boat required them, although most( including us ) had brought them.  Besides, one is not going to walk very far anyway. Granted, if one is going to attempt to walk up a penguin highway,  which is slippery, then yes, one may require some kind of aid.  Most people will not attempt something as foolish as that, however.  One can easily walk up the gentle hills( assuming one wants to do that ) , having no difficulty by walking on the gravel and avoiding the icey penguin highways, adjacent to where one would walk.  Of course, we are advocates of the philosophy "if you don't bring it, you can't use it," and if it makes one comfortable, gthen bring it.  But the OP asked if those items were necessary, and based on our experience, the answer is 'no.'   

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 23, 2013

The penguins did not have them either---not even on the penguin highway!!!

Author: sammarcia

Traveler Since: 2008

June 29, 2013

We visited Antarctica in February, 2013, and took our walking sticks--one pair each.  We are very mobile, walking 2 or more miles per day.  The walking sticks were the best investment we made!!  But, we would recommend that you use/take only ONE walking stick.  Then you have a free hand to take pictures, etc.  There are a lot of hills, penguin highways, rocks, etc.  If you want to really experience Antarctica, you MUST climb, walk through water, tromp around in lots of snow, walk on volcano rock beaches, and more.  An absolutely fabulous trip.  It was not cold enough, however, to worry about my hands freezing when I took my glove off to take pictures, so I wouldn't recommend the fishermen's gloves.  We landed from the zodiacs onto rock probably half of our nine landings--my pole made all the difference.  The snow on the hills we climb would have been a slip-slide activity without the pole.  Have a wonderful trip.  We loved every moment--even Drake Lake!  We had a very easy passage going and an even easier one returning--but we know they are not all like that.  Bon Voyage! 

Author: ematluck

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1999

June 29, 2013

I brought a hiking pole and was VERY happy that I had it. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.