Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: geo

January 19, 2013

Do not miss this trip.  We just returned home and are still reliving this wonderful experience.

Do not take this trip unless you are in very good health and can walk at least 2 to 3 miles a day.  You board boats and carts that will take agility.  You will have to use squait tolets at times and you may be over one hour before you can reach a tolet.  Do not take this trip unless you are able to adhear to these conditions.

Take the balloon ride in Burma that takes you over beautiful temples and stuppas.  It was spectacular and one that we are so glad that we did take.

Georgia Schafer

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

January 20, 2013

Glad to hear it was a great trip I'm booked on it in May.

Just wondering,

1) Did you get your VISAs in advance for Cambodia and Laos? If you did, did anyone else that got there's there have any problems? 

2) Did you use a service for your Viet Nam VISA or go directly through their embassy?

3) Did you do the Marlaria pills?

Note: I'm not doing the Burma pretrip.

Any information/advice on these (or other) topics concerning the OAT Ancient Kingdoms trip would be appreciated. 

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 20, 2013

gobuckeyes---I did this trip in september a couple years ago but I did not go through the visa service---I got an e-visa for Cambodia...I sent directly to their embasy for Laos and Viet Nam as the visa on entry for Viet Nam was not available when I took the trip; however, I understand it is now available on entry...I have not seen any posts about how effective it might be but you may want to look for posts/advise/problems with it...I did not take any malaria medications and did not see a single mesquito the entire trip---my trip ended just before the floods hit though....as was stated above, this is a great trip which I am sure you will enjoy...

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

January 20, 2013

wattsed,

thanks,

FWIW, here is what is in the official OAT letter now:

I'm thinking of going directly to the Viet Nam embassy for a "loose leaf" VISA as you don't have to send your passport to them, only a copy (see link below), etc. I'm still researching the possibility of a eVISA there.

http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/services/visa-application-process

Also. l'm seeing from several online sites that you can get a Cambodian VISA at the Chau Doc border check point; however, i don't believe that Cambodian eVISAs are accepted there, a few examples:

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

http://www.phnompenh.gov.kh/phnom-penh-city-travel-guide-46.html

http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm#Chaudoc

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k4799316-Chau_doc_crossing_and_visa-Cambodia.html

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

January 23, 2013

We took the Ancient Kingdoms trip last February, and we think the OP's original cautions regarding the physical requirements of the trip are somewhat overstated.  Except for ankor Wat and Ankor Thom, we did not find the walking overly exerting or difficult.  And only in those two locations because of the heat.  Nor did we find that boarding the boat for the Mekong River transit from Vietnam to Cambodia to be difficult either.  We will opine, however, that it was one of the best trips we've taken, without a doubt.  Expecially if one takes the post-trip extension to chaing Rai/Chaing Mai.  the visit to the hill people as well as the elephant ride through the jungle on that extension were, in our humble opinions, among our trip highlights.

As far as visas are concerned, we can state with certainty that you can get a Cambodian visa at the jungle checkpoint, because one member of our group failed to procure this visa in advance, as suggested, and had no choice.  He was indeed accommodated at that checkpoint, having the visa issued after every other boat was processed, which had the effect of holding up our entire group for about three hours.  Waiting in the heat for three unnecessary hours, did not endear this traveler to the group, and the results were discussed elsewhere.  Our advice:  Be a good citizen.  Get this visa in advance.  In fact, get all your visas in advance.   

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.