Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jjb65

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

Albania, Australia, Austria, , Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Montenegro, Panama, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Turkey, Vietnam, Wales.

Traveler Since: 2008

January 16, 2013

I purchased a new Windows 8 computer which also uses Internet Explorer 10.  I encountered several problems after signing into the GCT site. Several functions do not work: unable to view trip availability, unable to post a comment (I am using a Windows 7 machine for this entry) and unable to log off.  I mentioned this causally to a GCT phone rep while calling about other questions who said their computer people are "probably" aware of the problem and are "probably" working on it.  Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

January 16, 2013

I also have a new Windows 8 computer but haven't  tried to access the GCT website yet. I will post my results when I do. Meanwhile, I rcommend that you report this directly to the web support staff. Click Reservations and Customer Service under Contact Us at the botton of the page and then click the Email Web Quality link.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

January 16, 2013

I know that it is not your job to debug the sofware, but what I do when I have a problem with a web page is totry it with a different browser. You can download Chrome or Firefox without making them your default  browser and try to duplicate the problem. If you know how, you can also get the version of the brosers and operating systems. If you still have an older computer that it worked on, you can try that as well.

There are so many  combinations of browsers and operating systems, at various updates that it is difficult to totally test every web page totally. Then put a response to this post. Michelle, the Administrator, keeps a good eye on the forum. 

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 16, 2013

I have a friend on another web-site that got a new computer with Windows 8---he had so much trouble with everything, not just one web-site, that he sent the computer back and went back to his old system...I have heard from others that have had real problems with Windows 8 and have just about given up  on it...I suspect the problem is Windows 8 and not any specific web-site such as this since you have no problem getting in with your old system..

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

January 16, 2013

jjb65 (posted)... I mentioned this causally to a GCT phone rep while calling about other questions who said their computer people are "probably" aware of the problem and are "probably" working on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memo to forum administrator, just my  worth here....

You know (in my opinion) when a phone rep says something like that he/she loses all resemblance of credibility. It just rubs me the wrong way (i.e. telling the customer what they want to hear regardless what the facts are and assuming that we're stupid enough to actually believe it). In addition, the phone rep is indirectly saying "it's not my problem so I don't want to waste my time addressing it". Even if I wanted to book a vacation I’d consider hanging up and calling back so another “more honest/responsive” phone rep gets my commission.

Countries Visited:

many

January 16, 2013

I found that there are many non-functional links when using IE10 with this website. After a bit of searching I found a work-around. First press F12 and look for compatibility settings menu at the bottom of the screen. Change browser mode to compatibility view and document mode to IE8 standards.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

January 16, 2013

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments.

Gobuckeyes, your point is well taken. While we strive to for 100% customer satisfaction, from time to time, we miss the mark - and we apologize.  If you've had such an experience, we'd like to speak with you offline. Please contact me directly at gctforummoderator@gct.com.

Jjb65, I am inquiring into your issue and, per our conversation, I will be following up with you by the end of this week at the latest.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCCL/GCT Forum Moderator

Countries Visited:

many

January 16, 2013

I just tried it again with browser mode set to compatibility view and document mode with its normal standards setting and that seems to work for me. Remember to change the browser mode back to the default after you're done.

Jjb65, please let me know if my solution works for you.

Countries Visited:

many

January 16, 2013

Wattsed, it's well-documented that Windows 8 does have a steep learning curve. Successful use requires the winllingness to put considerable effort into learning to use it. I currently have four Windows 8 books checked out from the library.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

January 16, 2013

After reading all these posts, I may never replace this computer.  I was perfectly happy with XP, but when I had to get that computer replaced the new one came with System 7.  Which is all right.  But I will stick with it as long as I can.

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

January 17, 2013

grandcircle (posted)... Gobuckeyes, your point is well taken. While we strive to for 100% customer satisfaction, from time to time, we miss the mark - and we apologize. If you've had such an experience, we'd like to speak with you offline.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Au contraire, my recent experience with the GCT/OAT phone reps has been nothing but outstanding. Recently I booked the OAT Ancient Kingdoms: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia departing this May:

1. I spoke to a phone rep (Michael Sullivan) several months ago and he was great. He answered all my questions and even told me about his experience with an OAT trip to SE Asia. However, it was just a fact finding call and I wasn’t ready to book yet.

Comment: It would have been nice to get him again so he would get my booking commision; however that isn't how the GCT/OAT reservation process currently works. 

2. I spoke to a phone rep (Hadi Kasrawi) a month or so ago and booked it. He was excellent too.

3. I spoke to a (female) rep in the airline depart to schedule my flights (i.e. air deviation), etc. She was excellent too; but I don’t remember her name. She called exactly at the designated time and gave me several flight itinerary options. However, a few days later I did find an even better itinerary (i.e. lower price & better connections, etc.) than what OAT was able to offer for their published price and I ended up cancelling OAT’s air.

Several years past I may not of gave such glowing reviews on the phone reps; however, lately they all have been excellent (very knowledgeable, very helpful, not in any hurry, and no high pressure to book the trip). You may pass this on the the above rep’s supervisors.

Countries Visited:

many

January 18, 2013

The problem with links on the GCT website has nothing to do with any search engine. Or did you mean browser's history rather than search engine's history?

Update:  This was in response to a post which has since been deleted.

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

January 18, 2013

Would there even be a search engine or browser history on a new computer?  I know how to turn a computer on but that is about the extent of my knowledge of computers!

Countries Visited:

many

January 18, 2013

I'm sure it's possible to buy a new computer with absolutely no software on it but I really doubt that anyone here would be doing that. If you buy a computer for home use, it will come with a browser. Otherwise, you would not be able to access the World Wide Web. When people refer to search engines, they usually mean wefsites such Google and Bing which are used to search other websites.

Author: jjb65

Countries Visited:

Albania, Australia, Austria, , Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Montenegro, Panama, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Turkey, Vietnam, Wales.

Traveler Since: 2008

January 19, 2013

My original question was not intended stir up such a mess.  I consider the website issue to be no great concern, just an item to be aware of.  I am 99% sure the issue is between IE 10 and the site.  This is not uncommon when an IE upgrade is first used.  It will be corrected. 

Countries Visited:

many

January 19, 2013

mamaandpapa: I'm sorry if you found what I wrote to be offensive. I don't think that any of the replies were intentional putdowns or sarcastic. I am still puzzled by how clearing the history in a search engine such as Google could clear up a problem with the GCT site.

jjb65: I agree with you that there is a compatibility problem between  IE10, which is quite new, and the GCT website. Did you try the work-around which I explained in prior posts? It's working well for me.

1/21/2013 update: The first paragraph was a response to a post by mamaanpapa (a.k.a centaur789, xerxes, prometheus who joined 4/23/2012); his post has been deleted.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

January 19, 2013

I don't this forum is the place to use such language, even though you tried to disguise it. Remember we are not your spouse, children, or best friend.  We are people just like them and deserve respect.  Some of us just don't know how to navigate, and frankly, I am on low end of t he totem pole  when it comes to navigation on the internet, so what you said went straight over my head.  Maybe others feel the same way.  But to use language to put someone down for not knowing---not nice!

Countries Visited:

January 19, 2013

nanaandpapa---I don't know if your tirade was directed at me but, if so, I did not intend my post to be "smart ass" and I am truly sorry if you took it that way...I always appreciate your posts and value your input on this forum as you have extensive travel experience.. I knew that a new computer came with installed components but .I simply did not know that a new computer might be capable of having a browsing history...Again, if it was my post that upset you, I apologize as I assure you that it was not my intent to do anything other than ask what I thought at the time was a legitimite question... 

Countries Visited:

many

January 19, 2013

Ed, you need new glasses. ;-)  That was a post by "mamaandpapa", not "nanaandpapa".

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

January 19, 2013

There are two posters on this forum with similar names, mamaandpapa and nanaandpapa. It is confusing. I made the same mistake. I thought I was losing it, not remembering a post.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.