Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: suepoor1234

Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

January 13, 2013

A writer in another thread commented that she had been on trips where all sorts of things disappeared.  She specifically included persons as one of those things.  Have any of you been on a trip where one or more passengers/persons disappeared?  Please write and give specifics.  Thanks. 

Author: wattsed

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 13, 2013

Wow, what an experience...but David Copperfield has never been on any tour I have taken!

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

January 13, 2013

Can you be more specific about "things" and persons?  What thread did you read this on?  I'd be interested to know if the person(s) who disappeared was the person(s) making "things" disappear.  Or, if the person who disappeared got sick and had to leave to go back home.  We had this happen in Ireland this summer. 

One of our travelers fell several times on the trip and going to ER, due to a heart condition.  About the 3d or 4th time he felt faint and falling,  our PD talked the couple into going back to the US where the guy could get medical attention he needed.  This happened about 4 PM and at 3 AM the next morning they were gone, got a flight out about 6 AM.  None of us had a chance to say good bye to them, although we did talk with his wife when she came down to get a bite to eat during the dinner hour.

I'd be interested in knowing if "things" disappearing and "person" disappearing are related, as in breaking into rooms, taking stuff from the gift shop, etc.then leaving the ship for greener pastures.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 13, 2013

It's on the thread about someone's passport being "confiscated."  It's still current.

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

January 13, 2013

Suepoor, some weird things have happened during my 50+ years of traveling with groups but I don't recall being aware of a person literally disapearing. Although I think it's possible, I don't know what it has to do with passports being surrendered on river boats. Sometimes, posts are best taken with a grain of salt.

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

January 14, 2013

I don't remember exactly where or when it happened, but a few days into our Great Rivers of Europe cruise we heard a man screaming in his cabin, "Shut up you @#$%^&* &^%$#!" The woman (not wife) with whom he was tavelling had been the subject of some discussion among the other passengers because of her excentric behavior. Whether it was voluntarily or at the request of the PDs or ship's crew the man left the ship with all of his luggage the next morning. There was no apparent change in the woman's behavior that day, but at the next port she also left the ship with all her luggage. That was the strangest case of "disappearing passengers" in my experience.

Author: suepoor1234

Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

January 14, 2013

Capt. Larry, thanks for relating that situation. On a stop in Juneau, our cruise ship "lost" 4 passengers who did not return to the ship on time. I imagine that went on a shore excursion and didn't get back on schedule. They were left in Juneau but caught up at the next port.

And Janice, thanks for that "salty" comment.  I have a new box of Morton's right here in the cupboard.

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

January 14, 2013

Sue - ROTFLOL

Author: wattsed

Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 14, 2013

I was on a cruise with Holland America and they warned us that if we took a tour other than one from the ship and were late returning, the ship would not wait on you....we took a tour to the Cloud Forrest in Costa Rica and on the return trip there was a horrible accident which backed up traffic for miles...we got back to the ship about 9pm when departure was scheduled for around 5pm...The ship was still there and as soon as we boarded the ship immediately left the dock...we were a 100 yards or so out when we saw three taxis roar up to the dock, people jumped out and started waiving at the ship...the ship's crew just waived back and kept on going...I suppose that those people  joined back up in Panama but I never knew for sure! 

Author: shatzi

Traveler Since: 2009

January 14, 2013

Sounds like Listening to Van Gogh by James Stevens!

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

January 15, 2013

On a Celebrity Med cruise, while we were eating dinner on the ship in  Piraeus, the ship's engines started and someone commented that we were leaving port. A few minutes later, the engines stopped and two names were paged for several minutes. We finished dinner and went up on deck to watch the departure and saw a taxi pull up on the dock and two women get out with big shopping bags. They ran to the end of the dock and watched the ship leave.

I think the next port was Santorini, so they were still in Greece, but passports had been collected so wonder what they would have done to get to Santorini or if they did get there. 

Author: svncontinents

February 07, 2013

Perhaps the use of the word 'disappeared,' as it applies to people, is misplaced.  We take that to mean that the individual simply vanishes without a trace, reason or explanation.  One post above, where two people suddenly left thge ship under 'mysterious' circumstances, comes close, but simply vanishing without a trace is another matter.  We've been on trips where people had to leave the trip, unfortunately, for medical reasons( in two cases, they later rejoined the trip ), but no one has simply vanished without a trace.

Similarly, there have been posts where personal articles have apparently been, unfortunately, stolen, but we don't recall ever seeing any post where something simply vanished without a trace or explanation.  Even in the thread Pauline mentions, the passport wasn't confiscated, as we take the word to mean; the word was used inappropriately by a traveler who simply wanted to make a point.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.