Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jdwheel1

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

over 70 countries on every continent (including Antarctica) and counting

Traveler Since: 2009

January 10, 2013

I always use the list of other tour participants from the "Final Document Booklet" to help me remember the names of the fellow travelers so I can connect more easily during our time together.

However, I (like many other people) want people to address me by a name other than my "first name" in conversation (in my case my middle name).  The problem is that the OAT / GCT tour participant list shows only the "formal" (airline-required) name for the participants.

I am trying to encourage OAT / GCT to implement a programming change so this list shows the "call name" for all participants.  I know they have that data since it is the greeting on their web page and used on the badges for GCT.

Please provide your comments so the forum moderator can get a reading if this is worthy of the programmer's attention.

Thanks

Author: jandb

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 1999

January 11, 2013

I like your suggestion since I am "Betty" rather than Elizabeth.  My memory for names is not good but I am always interested in where other people live because we have lived in so many different places.  

Betty

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

January 11, 2013

Now, if GCT could improve on the ID badge and have it stay right side up. No matter how many time I adjust it, it manages to come up to the White side.  It came in handy in Egypt and Russia, however, when our Program Directors wrote my name in their languages.

I would also like a clip on the badge instead of the lanyard. Could wear it up higher! (Ladies, you know what I mean.) :D

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

January 11, 2013

grammyflo (posted)...I would also like a clip on the badge instead of the lanyard. Could wear it up higher! (Ladies, you know what I mean.) :D

Just sayin': You can buy these things fairly cheap:

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

January 11, 2013

I'm only five feet tall, and I have to shorten the lanyard by making a loop and a knot.  I'd appreciate the option of having a clip.

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0

January 11, 2013

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your suggestions about the name badges & tour member lists.  This thread has been forwarded to our Pre-Trip Department.

If you go by a different name than your legal name, we can put this name on your name badge. When you book, please mention which name you'd like on your badge.  We will be happy to accommodate you.  

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCCL/GCT Forum Moderator

Author: maryannmeal

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 5

January 11, 2013

My husband and I would also like to see "goes by" name listed on the badge and on the passenger list.  There is really no reason for the "formal" name to be listed.    As for the lanyards, if it is too long you can always tie a knot in it.  Clips make it too easy for the badge to be lost.

Author: nancyf

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

January 11, 2013

I agree with maryannmeal on the nametags. I like putting it around my neck. Clips do make it easy to come off & lost, and depending on what you are wearing, there is not always an easy place on which to clip it. One could just buy a clip to use as one poster suggested, if you don't like the around the neck option. That way everyone (mostly) would be happy!!!

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

January 11, 2013

As I posted, I do make a loop and a knot.  But sometimes, depending on what I'm wearing a clip would work.  I'd like to have the option for both.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

January 11, 2013

It would be immensely useful to me to have travelers' preferred names on the printed list. Because of my poor vision, it is often difficult for me to read what's on the name badge so I have to ask people to tell me their names and where they are from. By the end of the day, I can no longer remember all of this information so I frequently refer to the printed list to refresh my memory.

Pauline, I used your method to shorten cords for several years. Then a few years ago, I got out my knitting needles and some yarn and made myself some cords. They are not only the right length but also unique and sometimes color-coordinated with what I am wearing.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

January 11, 2013

We have been using the clips instead of the lanyards for many years and have never lost one. GCT used to use clips and we kept them and kept using them. It allows you to keep the tag facing forward at whatever height that you want it and does not tangle with the camera strap or snag on anything. We tried the lanyards when they first swithed to them, but, on more than one occassion, they snagged and came apart, forcing us to tie then ends together.

Countries Visited:

January 11, 2013

When you add the cord for the radio, which is also too long for me and has to be shortened, to the lanyard, cords so your hat doesn't blow away, cords for your glasses to switch from regular to sun  -  that's a lot of stuff hanging around your neck.  I wear transitional glasses now, but there were times when I thought I'd strangle myself.

Author: shatzi

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

January 12, 2013

I have found that the room key on the river boats fits well on the landyard. I bring earbuds with me to use on the receivers. I can put the receiver in my pocket and one less thing hanging from my neck.

It seems to me that some where along the line we are asked our preference as to what is on the name tags. Our nick names are on the tags.

I once brought a clip attachment for the name tag but it did fall off and luckly I found it. I hope this helps.

Author: bobandjudy1

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2007

April 07, 2013

I always write with black magic marker our first name in large letters. Cover with clear packing tape. Because 50% of the time the tag is wrong side out! Now it doesn't matter. Judy

Author: mewslp

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 6

April 08, 2013

My request for the Tour Member List:  On the small ship cruises we only receive a list of the 24-25 people who will be in our group; since there are only 50 people max on the ship, we mingle freely and I would like an advance list of ALL the passengers, not just my sub-group.

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

April 08, 2013

mewslp -  Your comment must be new practice.  We were on two of the "small ship" trips when they were still part of OAT - and we ONLY received the complete member list -  we didn't know which group we were with until we got there

Author: mewslp

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 6

April 10, 2013

It may be new - it happened on the August Treasures of the Aegean and again  for our upcoming "The Rivieras" trip.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.