Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

January 07, 2013

On January 7, Janice asked if we have more comments to start a new thread.  Partially about what other travel insurance companies do (If I understood correctly).

I asked my travel agent for the Princess cruise two questions.  I will repeat my questions here, and italicize her comments.A new insight into buying your own travel insurance and cancellations.. 

I did  not purchase travel insurance from the cruise company, I purchased travel protection from the travel agent instead. 

a.  If I cancelled a cruise I only put a deposit on, I understand I will get the deposit back.  Will the travel protection insurance company (which is not part of the cruise company) refund me anything.  "you will not get anything back from the travel protection company".

b.  If the cruise company cancels the cruise, will I get anything back from the travel protection company?   "No", same as (a) above.

c.  If after final payment one of you gets sick and can not go and we have to put in a claim. What  you get back will not include the insurance payment. 

I suspected if one purchased travel insurance from another company other than GCT, that that travel protection company would not reimburse the person in either cancellation situation.  The travel protection company was in essence protecting the traveler the entire time from booking date, so they wouldn't refund anything if either the company or traveler cancels.  I do understand the business about cancelling for medical or family situations, the travel protection will cover losses in those cases, in accordance with the terms of the travel protection plan, less the premium paid.

And, I'm not sure why we got on the subject of "who" pays, Trip Mate or GCT.  Information available on GCT's website does mention where claims should be filed and who pays. 

When GCT cancelled the Ukraine river cruise in November, I was offered a full refund including the cost of the travel protection plan.  Instead I elected to rebook a different cruise.  In the process of re-booking, I received several types of credit (world wide event, frequent traveler credit that I had on the other cruise) GCT refunded me all the travel protection money I had paid .  Then they were able to take the travel protection for the new cruise out of the balance of the cruise refund, since the new cruise price was substantially kower.  When I added business air, they increased my travel protection to include that portion of the trip and I had to pay additional money for the increase. All this makes common sense to me, and I'm not even a business major or a lawyer. 

I do appreciate reading different peoples' threads for any knowledge or ideas I can get fr om them.  But, I don't want to take the fun out of traveling.  All this heavy dialogue stuff seems unnecessary when, if each traveler does their research once or twice, the matter is moot in the future.  Just buy where you think is best and make sure you know your rights, responsibilities, and who pays you when you file a claim.  I can tell you, I will make sure my money is protected, so I'm pretty sure I know what I am going to do in the future. 

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

January 07, 2013

Singsling, thank you for the update. The answers you received your travel agent are what I expected you would get. I hope you have a wonderful cruise without any need to use your travel insurance. :-)

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

January 07, 2013

Thanks, Janice.  I expected those answers, also.  It's like buying auto insurance, if you don't have any claims, you don't get a refund.  It was there if you needed it.  That's  how I feel about the travel insurance I bought from the agent.  If I cancel, the insurance was there, and I "used" it during this time, until I return from my cruise. In view of the answers I got from my agent, I'm not sure buying other than GCT insurance is wise, if you don't get a refund if GCT cancels, and you don't want to re-book another trip.  I paid twice as much for my "agent" travel insurance as I would have paid from GCT (if GCT had such a cruise), and GCT's travel protection is a whole lot better coverage.

Thanks for you well wishes, too.  Happy New Year.

Author: asdfghj

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

February 24, 2013

Recently, I read an article in NY Times re travel insurance pros and con and what is needed vs what is not necessary. Anyway, the article highlighted World Nomads as an option.  

I have looked at their website and their travel insurance is considerably cheaper.  Has anyone used this insurance or have helpful knowlege re it?

Thanks, Sandy

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2007

February 24, 2013

We looked at the website and examined the coverages the World Nomads policy offers.  This appears to be a one-size-fits-all policy and in some instances the coverages may be lacking depending on where you're going.  In particular, the Trip Interruption, Travel Delay and Baggage Delay coverages.  Additionally, the policy has an age limit of 68.  We further note that the policy is underwritten by TravelGuard, and comparing the policy to Travel Guard's low end policy, we note that they have similar costs, however, the TravelGuard policy may offer somewhat better terms.  If you're going on a cruise or to a somewhat sedate place, the Nomad policy may be a good option.  However, the policy is an on-line policy, with all that entails, but is a reason for the lower cost.  We would suggest that a check of consumer sites would reveal if there are any complaints against this company.  They appear to offer coverage for those participating in adventure-type activities, which may be a plus.  However, DAN( Diver's Alert Network ) has long been offering similar coverage, and has a track record.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 24, 2013

I read that same article and also some of the comments  -  there were many many comments!  Some people argued that trip insurance was not needed, but we've all been through that argument before.  That's interesting that Travel Nomad is part of Travel Guard, but doesn't follow the same rules.  Travel Guard does charge by age as well as length and cost of trip, but if they have an age limit it must be pretty high.  I was 79 when I left for Israel in November and turned 80 a couple of days later, but I was charged the amount for a 79 year old traveler. 

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2007

February 24, 2013

Pauline-the Nomad policy DOES have an age component; the maximum age is 68.  And it is interesting to note that the Fire Insurance Company which underwrites the policy is the same company that underwrites policies for Caravan.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.