Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

June 29, 2012

Oh, Pauline, all I can say is oops!  I have used a travel iron on the ships; I knew we weren't supposed to.  But, mostly we use it in the hotels, most times we're staying 3-5 days in a hotel front or back of cruise and we've found not all European hotels have this in the room..  Believe me, if we use one, we are very careful and attentive.

It's my husband mostly, and I started to pack his stuff that it won't wrinkle.  You caught me on this.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 29, 2012

Well, I have a "thing" about ironing.  My father owned a big commercial laundry and dry cleaning business in the days before most people had washers and dryers.  So I never really learned to iron.  And I married a man who sent his shirts "out" to be laundered.  He was very picky about them. 

I look very carefully at care labels when I purchase clothes.  I can deal with "hand wash only" and "dry flat," but "iron on wrong side" is a deal breaker.  I do own an iron and an ironing board, and they mostly stay tucked away in a closet. 

Author: margotd

Trips Taken: 13
Countries Visited:

Mexico, Nova Scotia, Alaska, England, Paris, Northern Italy, Amsterdam, Brussels, Scandinavia on my own. Southern Spain with Elderhostel. With GCT, Eastern Europe, Costa del Sol, Russian River Cruise, Egypt and the Nile, Alpine Villages, Thailand and Christmas Markets on the Rhine.

Traveler Since: 2004

August 26, 2013

Someone asked Harriet about taking a down pillow on aa river cruise -- I often travel in cold weather, and like to have a down jacket with me.  I use one of those plactic bags that you squeeze thr air out of, it reduces the puffy jacket down to about a half-inch thickness and of course it weighs nothing.  Seema like it would work pretty well for a down pillow, too.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

August 26, 2013

This thread began in 2010, three years ago, and the last post before the most current was more than a year ago.

If there's new information, why not start a new thread and let the old ones go?

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

August 26, 2013

Several years ago I was on a 12 day trip(non OAT/GCT) and one person on the trip must have had the ultimate "pack light" idea...He wore the same clothes for each of the 12 days.  I had to assume that he washed them out each evening but I was never sure.  I do not think I want to pack that light!!

August 26, 2013

For Margold,

I don't know about those large zip bags you are talking about.  We have used them for storing clothes, and have done everything we know to keep the air out, but those closures do not work!  In a day or two you can see the bag getting bigger, and eventually, the air is back in. 

We got the travel bags but just used them to protect the clothes in the suitcase, not to take the air out and have more space. I test things like that at home first.  I can just see my suitcase with lots of clothes in the travel bags with the air out, the zipper on the suitcase popping open and my stuff flying every which way on the conveyer belt in Baggage area.  It might be a good idea if it worked.  But, like anything else that came from  TV programs , they're not worth the money paid for.  I have quite a few things i was stupid enough to buy.  We just threw the last one (the cute green hose that gets bigger then smaller when the water goes out). It was less than a month old. 

They sell small pillows (like a throw pillow but not) in catalogs (try The Company Store.com) or BB&B stores.  Those aren't too bulky to even carry on the plane and lots of people do.  They can be squeezed smaller with the tie bands inside suitcases and clothes squashing it down. 

August 26, 2013

Watsed beat me to a response.  Have to comment on this.  We were on a river cruise and every evening we sat at a particular table with 3 other couples.  We only met on the ship, but liked the company, so we stayed as a group for dinner.  One of the guys wore the same gray sweatsuit, and it got so ripe by the 4th day, the rest of us made excuses to leave the dining room early.  By the 6th day, we kept holding seats hoping they wouldn't come to the table and expect to be seated.  He was really riipe.  His wife seemed to change clothes regularly, but him--uh, uh.  On the 7th day, he changed into another sweat suit and wore that till the end of the cruise, another 7 days.  Whew, is all we could say.   That is packing light. 

Thanks, but we'll just bring 5 pairs of pants and 7 shirts for a  trip, whether it's 13 days or 30 days, shampoo works well for clothes--if it gets grease out of hair, it ought to get perspiration out of clothes- and it does. 

Author: dondaro

Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 1999

August 27, 2013

Use packing cubes. They're great. Items stay folded and don't flop all over the suitcase. Also, you take them out of the suitcase and put tthem directly in the draws in the hotel. You are already packed for those early morning departures. Just take them and put them back in the suitcase. Check out LL Bean

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2001

August 28, 2013

I agree with dondaro's packing cube advice.  I also use the Eagle Creek packing cubes and  "Pack-It" folders.  For me, a vacation is not a vacation if you have to do laundry in a sink.  I pack a fresh poly-cotton blouse or t-shirt for each day ..... the folder keeps them under control.  Underwear goes neatly into a cube.  But ..... as we have seen many times on this forum ..... everyone has different methods of dealing with the challenges of travel. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.