Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

December 21, 2012

We recognize ahyone's right to chase windmills, and attempt to swim upriver against the current.  The current is represented by current industry practice and try as one may, one is simply NOT going to reverse it.  The alternative that one has, if one wants to continue to be obdurate towards that practice is to avoid having to participate in situations where such practice is anththetical to one's personal feelings.  If one wants to participate in group travel, one has to adhere to the standards and practices inherent in such.  Otherwise, one doesn't participate in that mode of travel.

As we have said previously, when one has a significant amount of group travel under one's belt, one realizes that the accommodations made are form the convenience of all, and trusts the company one is traveling with.  if one is so suspicious and fearful, then one should not travel with that company.  Grand Circle/OAT has a track record of safety and security of their clients, their clients' belongings as well as extensive support overseas.  One needs to travel a bit with the company to come to understand that.

As to twolane55's comments regarding what industry standards were and what they are now, evaluating what was in the context of what exists now is more evidence that industry standards evolve for the better.  Who could argue that disallowing box cutters on flights is not for better safety and security, as is insuring that sufficient lifeboats exsit for all in the event of an emergency.  That's what their examples show.  And those industry standards have evolved for group travel to have uniform and efficient processing of travel documents, which include passports.  If twolane55 wants to use his examples, is he/she arguing for a return to the industry standards of yesteryear for all those other examples cited?  

Author: firstchoice

GCT Trips Taken: 15
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 1998

January 13, 2013

It's amazing to me that adults, experienced travelers would even worry about surrendering a passport.  We know why they want them.  It insures you'll settle you're bill, that you comply with their requests concerning departure times, and that you'll return keys (even card keys are not easy to replace).   We've traveled with GCT/OAT over 20 times.  Do we like all the rules?  No.  Do we comply?  Yes.  Isn't it just easier to remain a "group", and have everyone complying with the same rules?  If you want individual travel rules, then travel individually, and get off the company's back.  I wonder how many passports have been lost by travelers until GCT brought up this policy.  Nearly every group trip we've joined someone has lost a passport, his luggage, fallen down, been rushed to a doctor, had to return home, reported stolen money or jewelry, and even disappeared.  Is there no end to the surprises?   No.   Just comply, get on with the trip.

Author: travelann

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

January 13, 2013

Disappeared ? Late and lost maybe....but disappeared  ?????  

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 13, 2013

That must be the new Ghost tour---oops, I must be wrong there---ghosts do not disappear that would be un-seen-ly of them!!

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 14, 2013

Ouch!!!

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 14, 2013

Remember the Kingston Trio and their song about riding the MTA --" Will he ever return? His fate still unknown."

Maybe the "disappeared" got on the wrong boat and couldn't find their way back. Or the wrong plane ... or the wrong bus but liked that group better so stayed.

Author: nurse

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2006

February 09, 2013

I was on a GCT Grand Rivers of Europe on River Harmony  in Nov 2012 beginning in Vienna--- was asked for passport upon embarkation for them to hold while on the cruise ---when asked if I could have my passport for ID for a large purchase in Germany I was given it without any delay or problems .Wonderful cruise and wonderful personnel--would recommend this cruise to everyone. thanks GCT.

Author: bryce478

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2012

August 01, 2013

It never ceases to amaze me what sort of complaints some people will make.  I'm sure others will agree that this is the sort of individual you want to avoid at all costs when traveling.  Suggest he switch to another cruise line.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.